Maximum Number of Shares of a drive - Windows XP Home

Exciting new Business Rules announcements!
(Outgoing messages only)

Moderators: Susan Smith, admin, Gabriel

PJKLUG

Maximum Number of Shares of a drive - Windows XP Home

Post by PJKLUG »

I just moved WB from an XP Pro "server" to an XP Home "server" and now can only have 5 drive mappings to "shared" drive. I realize this is not a BRules problem but an XP problem but is 5 the maximum number of sharings you can have in XP Home? Is there any configuration changes that can be made to fix this?

Pete
PJKLUG

Post by PJKLUG »

I found the answer to my own question. 5 max on XP Home and 10 max on XP Pro.

Pete
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

I'm pretty sure you don't have to use Drive Letter mappings anymore in BR. Try typing the UNC paths "\\computername\sharename" directly in your wbconfig.sys DRIVE statements.

Gabriel
GomezL

Post by GomezL »

I am pretty sure that client server works on either OS.

I always poke fun at my users "Home" is not for "Work!" There are quite a few differences.

On the other hand, if all you need is shared network space, there are a bunch of nice options. I have an IOMEGA drive, it just plugs in the network and instant share!

Another options is to setup a Linux server.
PJKLUG

Post by PJKLUG »

I thought about using an external drive but aren't I going to have the same issue? This is just a Windows network with WB running on a shared folder mapped with a drive letter. The external drive would have to be shared by whatever workstation it is plugged into and if that workstation was XP home it could only be shared by 5 total workstations.