Sorts & indexes painfully slow in VMware&Windows ser

Information and discussion about setup, brconfig.sys, installers and other configuration related topics.

Moderators: Susan Smith, admin, Gabriel

Sue Dinishak

Sorts & indexes painfully slow in VMware&Windows ser

Post by Sue Dinishak »

We recently switched from Novell to Vmware & Windows server 2003. Since the switch, sorts and indexes are PAINFULLY slow. I have been working with VMware tech support and everything seems to be okay on the server. If I run BR on the server (connected directly to the SAN via fiber) everything runs normally. If I run BR from a client pc using a mapped drive letter the system bogs to unusable levels.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem? Or ideas? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Sue
gordon

Post by gordon »

( Note- to respond go to the forum, search on "sue*" and post a reply. )

All- Could this be something that pertains to the sort workfile?
Sue Dinishak

workpath and sort workpath

Post by Sue Dinishak »

I tried setting both workpath and sort workpath to %TEMP%. There was no change in the time it took to run the sort. Seems strange.

Thanks for the ideas. Please keep them coming......

Sue
admin
Site Admin

VMWare and networks

Post by admin »

Using the virtual network adapters can have serious performance penalties. I would try experimenting with the various network card configuration options in the VMWare Server Console.

The way I understand it, the virtual network cards have an extra software layer that puts the workload of the communication on the CPU.

VMs are generally not recommended for situation that require high network throughput.

In this case, if I understand correctly, your running the BR off a Windows share. This setup is not optimal for network access. Using Client-Server would be one option. Another would be to make a web interface for that process.
Sue Dinishak

client server setup

Post by Sue Dinishak »

Do I need to do anything different with licensing to run client server? Are there instructions on how to setup?

Thanks,
Sue
Susan Smith

Post by Susan Smith »

Hi Sue,

I have never installed C/S, but there are instructions on the BRWiki, assuming that the information is up to date. Search on "Client server" in the search box.

-- Susan
Sue Dinishak

client server setup

Post by Sue Dinishak »

Thanks Susan.
John

Post by John »

John Bowman