Vista and WHOAMI

Information and discussion about setup, brconfig.sys, installers and other configuration related topics.

Moderators: Susan Smith, admin, Gabriel

Kurt

Vista and WHOAMI

Post by Kurt »

Hey guys,

Anyone out there running BR on a Vista machine. I'm having trouble with the WHOAMI Command. Its not executing and therefore not creating the WHOAMI text file.

Just a side note. We are running on Novell 5.1. the error message I'm getting is...

"WHOAMI -4.1-919: This utility could not find a network connection. Error 8836"

My network guy says its because the WHOAMI application is not compatible with Vista somehow.

Take it easy on me, I'm still a BR novice.... :shock:

Kurt
GomezL

Post by GomezL »

WHOAMI is an external application (Someone else probably wrote it).
I have a strong suspision you are running in 64 bit more, and WHOAMI.EXE (??) is a 16 bit application.

Either way, run WHOAMI.EXE at a dos prompt, and see what you can see.
Kurt

Post by Kurt »

Hi Luis,

I ran it at a dos prompt on the Vista machine and the error message is what I got.

There is also a WHOAMI command on the C drive, Vista version? I ran that and I get a user name in the text file and nothing else. "kgess-vista\kgess" On m XP machine I get a whole lot more information.

I wonder if there are parameters that I can use to have it put more info into that text file.

Kurt
Susan Smith

Post by Susan Smith »

Kurt,

Try whoami /ALL

I think that's the switch anyway. If someone else knows, chime in.

-- Susan
Kurt

Post by Kurt »

Susan,

I just tried that, I got a whole mess of stuff now. Unfortunately, not the things I'm looking for. On my XP machine I get info like below....

USERID: KGESS
SERVER: IGORTPXX Netware 5.00
Connection: 95 (Directory Services)

On Vista, the first time all I got was
"kgess-vista\kgess"

After I tried WHOAMI/ALL I got a bunch fo stuff about Group Names and Privileges.

My bet is there is a parameter beside "ALL" that I can use to get what I want.

Kurt
Susan Smith

Post by Susan Smith »

Maybe this will help, Kurt:

Whoami was originally part of the Windows 2000 resource kit and later was shipped again in the XP service pack 2 tools. So if Vista is coming shipped with some other version of whoami, you might be able to substitute them. I'd try downloading the old version off of the internet into a temporary folder and running from there with START/RUN to see if you get different information. If you do, then you can probably just substitute it for the Vista version (renaming the Vista one of course). And this assumes that it doesn't have to be "installed", which the older version did not.

-- Susan

In the meantime, I found this by googling around. Don't know if it will help:

Whoami

Returns domain

domain

In Active Directory, a collection of computer, user, and group objects defined by the administrator. These objects share a common directory database, security policies, and security relationships with other domains.

In DNS, any tree or subtree within the DNS namespace. Although the names for DNS domains often correspond to Active Directory domains, DNS domains should not be confused with Active Directory domains.

name, computer name, user name, group names, logon identifier, and privileges for the user who is currently logged on.

Syntax

whoami {/upn | /fqdn | /logonid}

whoami [{/user | /groups | /priv}] [/fo Format]

whoami /all [/fo Format]

Parameters

/upn

Displays the user name in user principal name (UPN) format.

/fqdn

Displays the user name in fully qualified domain name (FQDN) format.

/logonid

Displays logon ID.

/user

Displays the current user name.

/groups

Displays group names.

/priv

Displays privileges.

/fo Format

Specifies the output format. The following table lists valid Format values.

Value

Description

table

Displays output in a table. This is the default value.

list

Displays output in a list.

csv

Displays output in comma-delimited (.csv) format.

/all

Displays the active user name and groups, and the security identifiers (SID) and privileges in the current access token.

/?

Displays help at the command prompt.

Remarks

· Whoami displays the complete contents of the access token (for example, the current user's security context) in the command window. It displays the user name and security identifier (SID), the group names, types, attributes and their SIDs, the privileges and their status (for example, enabled or disabled), and the logon ID.

Examples

To learn the domain and user name of the person who is currently logged on to this computer, type:

whoami

Whoami returns the domain of the user followed by the user name. Output similar to the following appears in the Command Prompt window:

DOMAIN1\administrator

To display all of the information in the current access token, type:

whoami /all
Kurt

Post by Kurt »

Thanks Susan,

I'll try some of these parameters. And I'll try taking the "old" WHOAMI application from my XP machine and put it in a different folder on my VISTA machine with a different name and see if I can make it work that way.

I'll let you know what I find out.

Thanks
Kurt
gtisdale

Post by gtisdale »

Kurt:

Just ried it on both my Vista 32 and Vista 64 machines. Both worked as they were supposed to. I did WHOAMI and WHOAMI /all

If you are trying to redirect the output to a file on vista send it to the %temp% directory. Vista will NOT allow you to create a file in the root.

George
Larry TIetz

Post by Larry TIetz »

Try whoami /? at the command prompt

then you can select whatever info you are looking for

ie whoami /user
Kurt

Post by Kurt »

I think I may be confusing some of you.

The native WHOAMI program on my Vista machine works when I run it. It just gives me different information than I'm used to getting.

If I run the "old" WHOAMI that is sitting on our netowrk drive (F) on my Vista machine I get the error message that I indicated above.

So, my real problem now is that I need to figure out how to get the "Vista" WHOAMI to create a text file that gives me basically the User Name and the name of the server that I am on.

George, you may have given us a clue with your response. I think I'll try copying the WHOAMI application from the C Drive and putting it in a folder on our network drive (F) and try it from there and see what happens.

Thanks
Kurt