Installing BR for all users on a workstation

Information and discussion about setup, brconfig.sys, installers and other configuration related topics.

Moderators: Susan Smith, admin, Gabriel

Susan Smith

Installing BR for all users on a workstation

Post by Susan Smith »

Hello everybody,

When you install applications on a workstation, sometimes it will ask you if you want to install it for the current user or ALL users. If you select ALL, then when you create new users on that workstation, they already have an icon for the program on their newly-minted desktop.

Is there a way to do this with BR? I have a client that seems to play musical chairs. They have 5 desks in a common "customer service" area and different people will be sitting in the desks at different times of the day. If the desk closest to the customer counter is vacant because someone has gone to lunch, somebody ELSE has to sit there to deal with the clients that come through the door. This is a problem because every user (up to a maximum of 12) doesn't have a user account on this computer. Their solution? The "home user" on that workstation never logs our and everybody else that sits there just masquerades as them.

This creates an audit problem when my programs time and date stamp certain activities and also log the username (Login_Name$) at the same time. It's not accurate. Later, someone else comes back to report a problem with something that was attributed to one employee when in fact, that employee knows nothing about it because it wasn't really them who did it. It was the "squatter" on that workstation.

So...what to do. They are running Windows Server 2003 R2 with Win XP workstations. They are running MAS200 accounting system. I mention this because when we create a new user on a workstation, there is already a MAS200 icon sitting on the desktop. If I could do this with BR, it would be much faster to implement a multi-user solution on these workstations. In this case, the ONLY thing these musical-chairs users need is my BR application - nothing else. Any ideas? The only thing that I've thought of so far is implementing a separate login for my application. Currently, they don't have to do this. All program control is based on login_name from Windows. The challenge with this is that no one forces the user to logout - either of my application OR Windows. I guess I could have every single BR program implement a WAIT/TIMEOUT and kick them out of the programs automatically after a certain amount of inactivity - to force the user back through the login process again. Of course, that would require some definite remodeling of my code.

-- Susan
gtisdale

Post by gtisdale »

If you right click on the MAS2000 icon and then select the security tab you will otice that the path where the icon is located is c:\users\public\desktop... or something like that. If you then right click on your BR icon you will notice that the path is different. C:\usrs\ssmith\desktop... or somethin like that.

If you move your icon to the PUBLIC\DESKTOP directory it should show up on all desktops.

George
Susan Smith

Post by Susan Smith »

Oh my gosh George. That is TOO easy! I love it. I'll give it a try. Thank you!

-- Susan