Maximum number of open sessions

Information and discussion about setup, brconfig.sys, installers and other configuration related topics.

Moderators: Susan Smith, admin, Gabriel

Mikhail

Maximum number of open sessions

Post by Mikhail »

The Maximum number of open sessions I ever was able to have was 9.

One of our genius users managed to somehow open TWENTY THREE.

I did not think this was possible.
Susan Smith

Post by Susan Smith »

You're right Mikhail. Every once in a while, one of our users manages to open a boatload of sessions too. That's why I posted recently about limiting the number of sessions per user (which I HAVE implemented for a few users who just don't seem to notice that they already have a window opened - grrrr)

-- Susan
John

Post by John »

if your limit is one and you hit the limit does it shift your focus to the already open session?

-john
John Bowman
Susan Smith

Post by Susan Smith »

Well, I'm not limiting it that way (using BRCONFIG.SYS limits). I'm doing it user-by-user. When they log in to their menu, it checks to see if the current session (just for select users) is>1 and if it is, the program does a EXECUTE "SYS".

-- Susan
Gabriel

Re: Maximum number of open sessions

Post by Gabriel »

I wonder if that manager has WSID=UNIQUE in his config sys?

I believe that causes BR to issue a new unique WSID for each new session - and leave all the sessions at 1. WSID's can go way higher then 9 so I believe having WSID=UNIQUE could cause a user to be allowed to open more then 9 sessions.

I invite anyone with more experience in this particular area to comment.

Gabriel
Mikhail wrote:The Maximum number of open sessions I ever was able to have was 9.

One of our genius users managed to somehow open TWENTY THREE.

I did not think this was possible.
Susan Smith

Post by Susan Smith »

Not in my case. I have never used WSID=UNIQUE at all for any client or any user. I contemplated it recently, but realized that I misunderstood it's function. (Your understanding of it is correct.)

-- Susan
GomezL

WSID=UNIQUE

Post by GomezL »

I tried it just for Kicks!

It's not a bad solution! The primary problem is each session takes a BR license.

I was able to quickly open 20 BR sessions, my startup calls for -72 (WSID=72), and it worked for the first session, each subsequent window was assigned the next available WSID (73,74,75,76,...).

My thought is that it might be helpfull for situations where automation might require more than 9 sessions.