Novell Client

Information and discussion about setup, brconfig.sys, installers and other configuration related topics.

Moderators: Susan Smith, admin, Gabriel

GomezL

Novell Client

Post by GomezL »

Stretching my memory back to 3.9, I believe this was the "Last DOS" version.

It was also a 16 bit release.

The one thing that pops to mind is to make sure that your work file is being created on your 'C: Drive', reducing the network load.

As Gabriel mentioned, the newer releases of BR (4.2) have evolved significantly. Not only are they 32 bit, but they also conform to the Windows 7 rules.

As for the performance discrepancy, file-caching makes a tremendous difference in performance for indexing. That alone could account for the performance differences.

I also have to wonder about the Novell Version that you are running. Novell 6.5 was released in 2003, The last Patch in October 2008. If you are running Novell 6.5, then it's probably time to look for a new OS environment.

If you are running OES 2.0 (Released October 2007), then you are actually running a SUSE Linux server. I have not tried running the Linux version of Client Server BR on SUSE Linux, but I would certainly give it a try.

I you are not, then I would recommend switching to a new Server Environment. Linux and Client Server is a great option, or Windows 2008 server with or without Client Server is the alternative.

If you do install Windows 2008 Serve, make sure you read this:
http://www.petri.co.il/how-to-disable-s ... r-2008.htm

If you do have some reason to stay with Novell, then your next step is to open a help ticket with them. Your problem is primarily a bug with their client which forces you to disable performance features.

Good luck!

Luis