Conference - Charlie cards, transportation & other stuff

Discussion and announcements related to the BRGroup and ADS conferences.

Moderators: Susan Smith, admin, Gabriel

Susan Smith

Conference - Charlie cards, transportation & other stuff

Post by Susan Smith »

Hi all,

Len Kruger reminded me (thanks, Len) that some of us may still have our Charlie cards from our last Boston BRG conference and they may still have some money left on them. So if you DO have your Charlie cards, make a note to bring them to the conference with you.

For those who have no idea what I'm talking about, a Charlie card is NOT related in any way to BRG member, Charlie Kent :) It's a plastic cash card that is your ticket or pass to ride the "T" (subway) in Boston. At our last conference, I handed out Charlie cards so people could use them to ride the subway. Some people didn't use all of the money that was on the card, so if you still have your card, this conference is a good opportunity to use it up when we go into town for food and entertainment.

Additionally, there is now a mobile app for those of you who have smartphones (Android or iOS) where you can use your phone or mobile device to purchase subway tickets instead of using a Charlie card or a kiosk at the station(s).
http://www.mbta.com/fares_and_passes/mt ... /?id=25905
I'll post more on this later.

For those of you who were not at our previous Boston conference, our hotel is very close to the Boston-Logan airport. To get into the "city" of Boston from the hotel, you take a shuttle from the hotel over to the airport and catch the subway ("T") for a short ride under the water. It's not nearly as involved as it sounds. The train is VERY convenient.

As I mentioned in a previous message, for this conference, we will have a different format so that you will have plenty of time for sightseeing. It's a lot looser, and a REALLY good conference to bring family or friends to make it a true vacation. The free breakfast in the morning is really wonderful (hot to order), and we'll be excusing everyone for the day at lunch time (a little later than usual). The good news is that you are free for the rest of the day. So you have most of the afternoon and all evening to go into town and eat where you like, take a harbor cruise, visit the historic sights, take one of the open-air bus tours (like the Duck tours), walk the Freedom Trail, and so many other things.

We'll organize dinner for one or two nights so you can be together with the group if you'd like to participate in that. Remember the piano sing along we did last time at that historic restaurant/bar called "Jacob Wirths" in the theater district? If some of you want to do that, we'll do it on Friday night when Mel, the piano player, comes. Note to those who didn't participate last time: it was MUCH more fun that it sounds. We had a ball.
http://www.jacobwirth.com/pages/singalong.html

Are you getting excited now? I'll get the registration forms up next week. But in advance of that, I'd love to know who is planning to come and whether or not you are bringing any guests. I've already heard from some people via email and phone, but please post in reply to this message. It will get everybody in the mood to see their BRG friends again!

-- Susan