2014 Business Rules Group Conference - San Antonio, Texas

Discussion and announcements related to the BRGroup and ADS conferences.

Moderators: Susan Smith, admin, Gabriel

Susan Smith

2014 Business Rules Group Conference - San Antonio, Texas

Post by Susan Smith »

Hi all,

I'm trying again since very few people read my recent messages in here about the conference. I sent a message to the old mailing list in a desperate attempt to catch most of you there ;)

I believe that many of you are not aware that there are any new messages in this forum unless you just "happen" to visit, and you don't generally do that since the messages USED to come your email inbox. We can't do that anymore, so we really need to get all of you set up with a feed between this forum and your email so you won't miss anything. Until November, messages posted here were automatically forwarded to the old BR mailing list which distributed messages to all of the people who were subscribed to it, including most of you. But since this can no longer be done, the only way to KNOW that a message has been posted here in the forum is to 1) visit here and look OR 2) to set up your own RSS or ATOM feed so that messages posted here ARE delivered to your email (just a different way. Instead of US sending them, your email client or browser will do it). But YOU have to make the feed happen yourself. I can't do it for you. Feel free to ask questions if you don't know where to begin. We'll need to know your email program and browser.

This is a repeat of what I just emailed to most of you:

But back to the topic: IT IS CONFERENCE TIME! :) We're actively planning the conference, which is only 10 weeks from today! Can you believe it? And the theme is UTILITIES! If you have a cool little utility or function that you'd like to share or demonstrate (something you developed in BR or even a non-BR utility that you downloaded), I'd love to know about it ASAP! Utilities can be as small as a simple 15-line BR function or as large as a full application. The beauty of utilities is that they enable us to do powerful things without having to recreate the wheel from scratch. AND if we don't have a feature available in BR natively, we may be able to build one or to download one that will do the job. At the conference, we will have lots of time for discussion, questions and suggestions on how to extend these utilities to work together to do even bigger things! It should be plenty inspiring. If you have a question or topic that you'd like to hear about at the conference, I need to know that NOW if I am to have a chance to make that happen. The weeks are flying by and registration will be open soon.

You can make your hotel reservations any time. The deadline is the first week of April, so mark it on your calendar!

To repeat my last message which you may not have seen:
The conference is Thursday-Saturday May 1-3, 2014 in San Antonio Texas. It's at the same hotel that we were at in 2012 (on the Riverwalk). We will dismiss early each day (after a long morning session) just as we have for the past two conferences. Everyone seems to love that format and it allows you to have the rest of the day for sightseeing and vacationing. (Maybe a trip to the Alamo?) This time, our San Antonio conference will NOT be held during Fiesta Week so hopefully, the lines for restaurants and such won't be nearly as crazy, nor should there be all of that "Mardi Gras" style noise in the streets all night. Those Texans take their Fiestas very seriously you know! LOL!

In case you want to start looking into plane fares and hotel reservations, here is what you need to know:

The hotel is the Drury Plaza at the San Antonio Riverwalk. There are two Drury hotels, but only one Drury PLAZA. (The other one that we are NOT using is called the Drury Suites. Don't get confused.) Here is the info:

Drury Plaza Hotel San Antonio Riverwalk
105 South St. Mary's Street
San Antonio, TX 78205
(210) 270-7799

Our booking link is http://www.druryhotels.com/Reservations ... no=2188477

The rate for Wednesday night through Friday is $ 134.95 - a LOWER rate than last time! Yahoo! If you have 3 or more people per room, they may charge an additional $10 per person. I believe that we have reserved enough rooms at that rate for our group. But if you try to make reservations and don't see rooms available at the group rate, contact me please. I will get it straightened out for you. And if you plan to come early or stay late for a little vacationing, they will honor those rates for a few days before and after the conference. Again, contact me if you run into any snags.

I will get registration forms out soon and I will post that information here, so please check here regularly (or set up your feed!) I happen to use Thunderbird for my Email which has a built-in RSS feed reader that is easy to configure. If you use something else and don't know how to set it up, ASK! Someone else may have just the answer you need. And if you need to manually enter the BR forum feed link into your feed reader, that link is feed.php

-- Susan
Susan Smith

Re: 2014 Business Rules Group Conference - San Antonio, Texa

Post by Susan Smith »

Hey everybody,

It has come to my attention that some people are being told that our group rate room block at the Drury Plaza Riverwalk is full when they go to make their reservations. This isn't the case, but the person that I need to speak to about it is out of the office til Monday. So if you can't make your room reservations (AT THE GROUP RATE), hang on til Monday and I will get it straightened out and post back here.

I'll leave this message in both the forum AND send it through the old mailing list as well, hoping to catch everyone one way or the other.

Have a great weekend!

-- Susan
Susan Smith

Post by Susan Smith »

Hi everybody,

After more than a week of miscommunication (grr) with our hotel, they say that they have our reservations fixed. So those of you who were not able to make your hotel reservations, give it another go. Let me know right away if there are any problems.

-- Susan
Susan Smith

Post by Susan Smith »

Conference Hotel Reservations

Just a reminder: Our guest room block expires on April 17th at the Drury Hotel in San Antonio, so if you have not made your hotel reservations yet and plan to attend, please make your reservations before this cut off date to make sure that you get a room at the group rate. Look further back in this thread for the reservation information. Or ask and I'll repost.

-- Susan