2015 BRG Conference - stay tuned

Discussion and announcements related to the BRGroup and ADS conferences.

Moderators: Susan Smith, admin, Gabriel

Susan Smith

2015 BRG Conference - stay tuned

Post by Susan Smith »

Hi all,

2015 Business Rules Group Conference
October 1-3, 2015
Embassy Suites Hotel
San Diego, CA
$239 per night for guest room rates

In the next few weeks we will begin to get rolling on our 2015 conference at the Embassy Suites in San Diego. This is the same site of our 2011 conference (on the water across from the U.S.S. Midway). As I told you in an earlier email, the hotel is expected to book up that weekend because of several city-wide events. (This is the annual "event season" in San Diego, so this is really not unusual.) But I will have very hard deadlines in terms of preserving our reserved room block as long as possible. We will need to book our rooms a bit more in advance than normal. I will get you all of that information - most likely next week. At that time I will have a link where you can book under our group code. We DO have to guarantee a certain number of rooms, so if we aren't going to make that, I'd like to know sooner rather than later, so I can "downgrade" the room block in time to avoid being billed for those rooms. Sorry...long-winded. You know me!

I'm writing now because I am under the impression that a couple of you were thinking about sharing a room to split the $239 room rate. The Embassy Suites "rooms" generally sleep up to 6 people if you're quite friendly: 4 in beds (if you can manage to snag two queens rather than one king) plus a sofa bed in the living room. If you plan to share rooms, NOW would be the time to nail that down with your friends so that we can determine how many rooms we will need for the group. Also, queen beds will be limited if you wait too long to reserve your room. If by some chance we need MORE rooms than are currently reserved for us contractually, it will be hard to get them if I wait too long to amend those details. The last time I asked you all about this on the forum so that I could get a feel for how many rooms we needed, NO ONE responded to me. So I had to guess. Perhaps that was when people weren't on the forum much - because the messages were not being routed to our email list. Happily, that functionality has been restored (thank you, Gordon!).

In any case, please be thinking about whether or not you plan to come to the conference, whether you plan to book your own separate room or share with a friend(s), and perhaps be prepared to book your room in the next few weeks when I give you the go ahead, okay? I don't want anyone to be left out. Holler with questions. I may not have all of the answers yet, but they will be rolling in over the next few weeks. Get it on your calendar!

I can't wait to see everyone! It's been WAY too long.

-- Susan
Susan Smith

Re: 2015 BRG Conference - stay tuned

Post by Susan Smith »

For anyone who wants to get started on their hotel reservation for the October conference, here is the applicable info:

The group code is BRG or you can just call and mention Business Rules Group. You can make reservation online at www.sandiegobay.embassysuites.com and using “special rate or group code” or by calling 1-800-Embassy.

As we have done for the past several conferences, we will be dismissed at lunch time on Saturday. That way, if you need to head back home the same day, you should still be able to get a flight out without having to stay over another day.

-- Susan
Susan Smith

Re: 2015 BRG Conference - stay tuned

Post by Susan Smith »

It has been brought to my attention that the "two queen bed" rooms at the hotel are selling out and that mostly "one king bed" rooms are left. I'm not sure if you can still get two queens or not. (Maybe there is a wait list?) The hotel has rooms with upgraded views on the Bay side that they sell for a bit more, so perhaps it's possible to go that route if you need queen beds. I suppose if you want two queen beds because you are sharing your room with several people, that the bit of extra expense, shared between you, might be worth it.

Don't delay making your reservations! This is a busy conference time in Southern California and the longer you wait, the fewer your choices are.

You can make your reservation online at www.sandiegobay.embassysuites.com , select “special rate or group code”, and use the code BRG
or
You can 1-800-Embassy and mentioning the Business Rules Group

Please let me know if you run into any snags or issues that I can help resolve. We DO have to meet a minimum # of hotel guest rooms to guarantee per our contract (standard big hotel chain stuff), so if you intend to share a room or stay somewhere else, PLEASE let me know!

Oh, and fair warning. If you intend to rent a car and valet it at the hotel overnight, it's gonna cost you! $42 per night! (I was thinking that maybe I should just sleep in my car in the valet lot...LOL)

Thanks everybody!

-- Susan