It's time to get our conference rolling!
I'm sure that you've seen the messages that I have posted recently with the hotel details and dates. (If not, please see the "CONFERENCES" section on the forum to revisit those.) But now we need to get the CONTENT happening. The 2015 conference will be a little different. In the past, the Business Rules Group has largely played "catch up" with new BR topics. There were so many new features added to BR that it took us quite a long time to catch up to the point where we had presented them all (or most anyway). You can only fit a certain amount of content into each conference and the new things were coming faster than we could learn them and present them! But in the more recent past, especially since Dan left, much of the work on BR has been concentrated into a more narrow focus and we haven't seen the same QUANTITY of new features added. There is nothing wrong with this. It's just how it is. Thus, we have "caught up". So now comes an opportunity...
WHAT DO YOU WANT TO SEE?
Some topics have appeared at conferences on a repeated basis because people ask for them again. This is usually because the topics were of interest the first time, but because developers weren't able to immediately implement those features and make use of the information, they wanted a refreshed course when they were ready. We have an opportunity to revisit some prior topics (not necessarily with the same presenters) for those people who felt a little left behind in recent years.
1. Do you have a repeat topic that you would like see covered again? (Naturally, this is subject to the availability of a presenter willing and able to do such a presentation!)
2. Is there a topic that you are interested in, but you don't KNOW if it was covered before? (Maybe you are relatively new to the group.)
3. Is there a non-BR topic that you are interested in learning more about? We have a certain amount of space for non-BR topics, though since this IS a Business Rules Group conference, we must balance our content to keep to our mission statement.WHERE CAN YOU HELP?
This is a group run by volunteers. You get what you give. We LOVE to see what each other is up to in the BR world! It's a source of inspiration and inevitable leads to many saying "I didn't know that you could do that in BR!" Remember that none of us went to BR school! There are many ways that we picked up this language, and we all use it in different ways. You might think that your favorite technique is something that "everybody knows". But I can assure you that this is rarely the case! And I confess that my very favorite part of EVERY conference is seeing what others are up to and how they do their stuff!
1. Would you like to present on a particular topic of interest to you, or something that you feel might be helpful to the rest of the group? It can be big or small, long or short.
2. Would you like to show off what you are working on or something that you just completed?
3. Do you have a NIFTY NEATO? (some small technique, "look" of a screen, or programming hint) These are always very popular because they don't require a lot of time from the presenter/sharer, yet they create those "aha!" moments for the rest of us. If I had my way, I'd fill the entire conference up with Nifty Neatos!
Please email me your thoughts. I'd like to know what/who we have to work with for this conference and start to solidify our plan. And don't be shy! If I don't get a healthy response, we will have a LOT of discussion time
I'm looking to hear from you ASAP!