2018 BRG conference - who knows New Orleans?

Discussion and announcements related to the BRGroup and ADS conferences.

Moderators: Susan Smith, admin, Gabriel

Susan Smith

2018 BRG conference - who knows New Orleans?

Post by Susan Smith »

Hello again,

In planning this upcoming conference in New Orleans, it occurs to me that although I have NEVER been there myself, some of you might have. Generally we like to plan a group dinner on the Thursday night of our conference. You are on your own for any other nights we are there. If you have any suggestions of a place that is walking distance from the Drury Inn (address: 820 Poydras Street, New Orleans) and they can accommodate up to 20 people, DO let me know! Otherwise I will check with the hotel for suggestions and hit up Trip Advisor and Yelp and see what I come up with. When it is very busy (as it may be at this time of year), it can be hard to get reservations for a large group at the last minute). Hence, the desire to start doing some homework now. (As a comparison, when we were in San Antonio, I couldn't get a reservation for all of us at one place one MONTH before the conference!)

It might be fun to go see some live music while we are there if people are interested in that. I believe we will be within walking distance from the French Quarter and the Garden District, and I'm sure there are some jazz clubs and such that we could check into. I'm already preparing - just bought some clunky padded walking shoes that ought to help me get around as long as my knees hold out :)

If there are other sights to see there that you have visited, please share that information. Let's get a conversation going (here in the forum). I know that I would love to go visit the St. Louis Cathedral while I'm there. I read that it's the oldest Catholic Cathedral in continuous use in the United States and is spectacular. I love beautiful architecture! Note that if you'd like to come to New Orleans early or stay over for a day or two afterward for sightseeing, the hotel will honor our group rate for a couple of days before and after the conference.

-- Susan
Gabriel

Re: 2018 BRG conference - who knows New Orleans?

Post by Gabriel »

There are many really wonderful Restaurants in New Orleans. I'll find out the names of some of the best ones, so I can make some proper recommendations.

Also, the New Orleans Jazz Festival is happening while we are in town there. That will be wonderful to see. There will be jazz music all over the city in honor of the festival and there will be specific free concerts and events throughout the week.

The four most famous times of the year to visit New Orleans are: Mardi Gras, New Years, the Jazz Festival in early May, and Satchmo - the Louis Armstrong Festival.

Of them all, Mardi Gras and New Years are too crowded, while the Jazz Festival and Satchmo have the best music. What I'm saying is this is going to be one of the very best times of year to visit New Orleans.

I'll write further when I have confirmed the name of the restaurant i'm thinking about, and though there are many that are amazing, this one is particularly special, so if its possible I'd love to share that experience with all of you.