[BR_forum] 4320 error

Information and discussion about BR error codes.

Moderators: Susan Smith, admin

Larry

[BR_forum] 4320 error

Post by Larry »

Does anyone have any experience with a 4320 error?

Client accesses the system via wireless network. Main menu comes up, then
when going to the next program, he gets this error.

Ending and starting over (end, run progname, not exiting br) will then work.

Stephen Koger

[BR_forum] 4320 error

Post by Stephen Koger »

Wireless and BR... not a good mix... Wireless networks are not made for
applications that prefer a constant connection. A Drive share requires a
constant connection.

Steve
-----Original Message-----
From: br_forum-bounces@ads.net [mailto:br_forum-bounces@ads.net] On Behalf
Of Larry
Sent: Wednesday, May 06, 2009 4:43 PM
To: 'Business Rules Forum'
Subject: [BR_forum] 4320 error

Ending and starting over (end, run progname, not exiting br) will then
work.

GomezL

[BR_forum] 4320 error

Post by GomezL »

RDP or Terminal Services work fairly well in a wireless environment.

When the wire goes down, it just "Re-connects".

Luis

From: br_forum-bounces@ads.net [mailto:br_forum-bounces@ads.net] On Behalf Of Larry
Sent: Wednesday, May 06, 2009 5:43 PM

John

[BR_forum] 4320 error

Post by John »

When the error occurs, check the value of SysErr and SysErr$. What do they say?

Perhaps rather than mapping drives you should just use the network name (i.e.
\\server\resource\dir) and only map with drive statements.

I know my dad uses wireless network in my my mom's shop and it works fine for
him. And he's using an older version of wb. Too.

-john

From: br_forum-bounces@ads.net [mailto:br_forum-bounces@ads.net] On Behalf Of
Luis I. Gomez
Sent: Thursday, May 07, 2009 5:43 AM
Subject: Re: [BR_forum] 4320 error

RDP or Terminal Services work fairly well in a wireless environment.

When the wire goes down, it just "Re-connects".

Luis

From: br_forum-bounces@ads.net [mailto:br_forum-bounces@ads.net] On Behalf Of
Larry
Sent: Wednesday, May 06, 2009 5:43 PM

John Bowman
Gabriel

[BR_forum] 4320 error

Post by Gabriel »

Do you consistantly get the error?

If its random, then its probably caused by the wireless connection breaking.

Now, I would have to disagree with the doomsayers out there - I have been running BR over a wireless connection (and even over the internet sometimes) without too many problems..

Gabriel

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 4:42 PM, Larry <ltietz@verizon.net (ltietz@verizon.net)> wrote:

Client accesses the system via wireless network.  Main menu comes up, then

Stephen Koger

[BR_forum] 4320 error

Post by Stephen Koger »

Being one of the doomsayers.. I will clarify. BR can run just fine in a wireless network if you know how to configure the network correctly and the machines that would be using it. But canned out of the box configuration of wireless cards, windows, and routers is all geared towards web browsing. Which is rarely a constant connection. So those who don’t have networking backgrounds might want to steer clear of BR and Wireless.

There are settings that can be turned on that will ensure your driveshare does not disconnect due to inactivity, which is likely what is happening in Larry’s case. This can happen on a wired connection to. But happens far less often.

To describe what is happening most likely in Larry’s case.. Person is taking their computer to the Main Menu of his application… Then going and doing other things, not in his application. So the Windows eventually due to inactivity and disconnects disables the drive share.. Likely if you opened up “My Computer” at this point, windows would be showing the drive as disconnected. Person gets a call… or needs to look something up in his application. So they pull up the menu… which btw is already loaded into memory… So it runs… but the minute it tries to access data… it errors out because the driveshare is down… Meanwhile though… Windows has sensed somebody trying to access the driveshare… so it has re-established connection.. Thus when he now returns it functions perfectly.

Larry I hope this helps you understand what is likely happening.

Steve

From: br_forum-bounces@ads.net [mailto:br_forum-bounces@ads.net] On Behalf Of Gabriel Bakker
Sent: Thursday, May 07, 2009 9:25 AM
To: Business Rules Forum

Now, I would have to disagree with the doomsayers out there - I have been running BR over a wireless connection (and even over the internet sometimes) without too many problems..

Gabriel

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 4:42 PM, Larry <ltietz@verizon.net (ltietz@verizon.net)> wrote:

George Tisdale

[BR_forum] 4320 error

Post by George Tisdale »

Does this mean that an error trap for 4320 with a wait of say 10 seconds, or a msgbox(“Reestablishing network connections”), might allow windows to wake-up the connection and let the user continue?

George L. Tisdale, CPA
Tisdale CPA
75 Junction Square Drive
Concord, MA 01742
(978) 369-5585

From: br_forum-bounces@ads.net [mailto:br_forum-bounces@ads.net] On Behalf Of Stephen Koger
Sent: Thursday, May 07, 2009 10:53 AM

Being one of the doomsayers.. I will clarify. BR can run just fine in a wireless network if you know how to configure the network correctly and the machines that would be using it. But canned out of the box configuration of wireless cards, windows, and routers is all geared towards web browsing. Which is rarely a constant connection. So those who don’t have networking backgrounds might want to steer clear of BR and Wireless.

There are settings that can be turned on that will ensure your driveshare does not disconnect due to inactivity, which is likely what is happening in Larry’s case. This can happen on a wired connection to. But happens far less often.

To describe what is happening most likely in Larry’s case.. Person is taking their computer to the Main Menu of his application… Then going and doing other things, not in his application. So the Windows eventually due to inactivity and disconnects disables the drive share.. Likely if you opened up “My Computer” at this point, windows would be showing the drive as disconnected. Person gets a call… or needs to look something up in his application. So they pull up the menu… which btw is already loaded into memory… So it runs… but the minute it tries to access data… it errors out because the driveshare is down… Meanwhile though… Windows has sensed somebody trying to access the driveshare… so it has re-established connection.. Thus when he now returns it functions perfectly.

Steve

From: br_forum-bounces@ads.net [mailto:br_forum-bounces@ads.net] On Behalf Of Gabriel Bakker

Gabriel

Stephen Koger

[BR_forum] 4320 error

Post by Stephen Koger »

Yes you should be able to programmatically handle the issues that Wireless presents by being aware when your programming that errors of disconnection to your data may occur. Testing for an available driveshare in your main menu could catch this issue and waiting until it no longer errors out when trying to access a file. But be aware that the program must be able to operate entirely within itself. You cannot chain to another program if that program is not stored locally. Because all that is available to you would be what is in BR memory, until the driveshare reconnects.

It can also be very helpful to use persistent driveshares established using the ‘NET USE’ command rather than just mapping a drive through windows gui.

From: br_forum-bounces@ads.net [mailto:br_forum-bounces@ads.net] On Behalf Of George Tisdale
Sent: Thursday, May 07, 2009 11:28 AM

Does this mean that an error trap for 4320 with a wait of say 10 seconds, or a msgbox(“Reestablishing network connections”), might allow windows to wake-up the connection and let the user continue?

George L. Tisdale, CPA
Tisdale CPA
75 Junction Square Drive
Concord, MA 01742
(978) 369-5585

From: br_forum-bounces@ads.net [mailto:br_forum-bounces@ads.net] On Behalf Of Stephen Koger

Steve

Gabriel

John

[BR_forum] 4320 error

Post by John »

i would think that using UNC paths in your drive statements rather than mapping drives would avoid the issue entirely, no?

-john

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 12:45 PM, Stephen Koger <steve.koger@m-a-c-s.com (steve.koger@m-a-c-s.com)> wrote:

Yes you should be able to programmatically handle the issues that Wireless presents by being aware when your programming that errors of disconnection to your data may occur.   Testing for an available driveshare in your main menu could catch this issue and waiting until it no longer errors out when trying to access a file.  But be aware that the program must be able to operate entirely within itself.  You cannot chain to another program if that program is not stored locally.  Because all that is available to you would be what is in BR memory, until the driveshare reconnects.

It can also be very helpful to use persistent driveshares established using the ‘NET USE’ command rather than just mapping a drive through windows gui. 

From: br_forum-bounces@ads.net (br_forum-bounces@ads.net) [mailto:br_forum-bounces@ads.net (br_forum-bounces@ads.net)] On Behalf Of George Tisdale
Sent: Thursday, May 07, 2009 11:28 AM

Does this mean that an error trap for 4320 with a wait of say 10 seconds, or a msgbox(“Reestablishing network connections”),  might allow windows to wake-up the connection  and let the user continue?

George L. Tisdale, CPA
Tisdale CPA
75 Junction Square Drive
Concord, MA  01742
(978) 369-5585

From: br_forum-bounces@ads.net (br_forum-bounces@ads.net) [mailto:br_forum-bounces@ads.net (br_forum-bounces@ads.net)] On Behalf Of Stephen Koger

Being one of the doomsayers..  I will clarify.   BR can run just fine in a wireless network if you know how to configure the network correctly and the machines that would be using it.   But canned out of the box configuration of wireless cards, windows, and routers is all geared towards web browsing.   Which is rarely a constant connection.  So those who don’t have networking backgrounds might want to steer clear of BR and Wireless.

There are settings that can be turned on that will ensure your driveshare does not disconnect due to inactivity,  which is likely what is happening in Larry’s case.  This can happen on a wired connection to.  But happens far less often.   

To describe what is happening most likely in Larry’s case..   Person is taking their computer to the Main Menu of his application…  Then going and doing other things, not in his application.    So the Windows eventually due to inactivity and disconnects disables the drive share..  Likely if you opened up “My Computer” at this point, windows would be showing the drive as disconnected.   Person gets a call… or needs to look something up in his application.  So they pull up the menu… which btw is already loaded into memory…   So it runs… but the minute it tries to access data…  it errors out because the driveshare is down…    Meanwhile though… Windows has sensed somebody trying to access the driveshare… so it has re-established connection..   Thus when he now returns it functions perfectly.  

Steve

From: br_forum-bounces@ads.net (br_forum-bounces@ads.net) [mailto:br_forum-bounces@ads.net (br_forum-bounces@ads.net)] On Behalf Of Gabriel Bakker

Gabriel

Client accesses the system via wireless network.  Main menu comes up, then

John Bowman