Error 807 and 876

Information and discussion about BR error codes.

Moderators: Susan Smith, admin

Susan Smith

Error 807 and 876

Post by Susan Smith »

Error 807
Does anyone know what Error 807 is? I can't seem to find it in my error codes file nor in messages I've saved about "new" error codes. I'm getting this on line 6160 which prints to a window. It worked fine prior to BR 4.2:

00500 LET BORD$=CHR$(213)&CHR$(205)&CHR$(184)&CHR$(179)&CHR$(217)&CHR$(196)&CHR$(192)&CHR$(179)
06160 PRINT #GLW,BORDER BORD$: " Balance to apply: "&CNVRT$("PIC(ZZ,ZZZ,ZZZ.##CR)",(CREDIT-DEBIT))&" "

Note that BORD$ contains line draw characters. This is code from a different BR programmer, so I'm not as familiar with the way he did things as I'd like to be.

Error 876
I also noticed a discrepancy between the error codes file and an error list posted by George a while back regarding error 876. In the error codes file, it says:

Attempt to read a single cell instead of a row on a LISTVIEW.
Cause: Using GRID only syntax when accessing a LISTVIEW.

George's list says:
876: GUI statement encountered in non-GUI mode

Who keeps the error codes file updated these days? Is that still you John? Is there an up to date version of the file somewhere? I have no idea how old mine is.

Thanks!

-- Susan
John

Post by John »

Well I try to keep the error codes up to date - I do so on the wiki where everyone else can benefit and even help if they so desire.

Occasionally I make XML exports from the BR!Wiki and update various differently formatted error documents... like the .WBH files, which I provide Gordon with, when I do.

So the BR!Wiki is the place to make additions, changes, etc... It will always be more up-to-date than other error codes documents and is the source for other error code documents.

If you figure out the 807 error - and do a half-hearted attempt at making a 0807 page for it on the BR!Wiki - I'll see that you did and come along and clean-up/re-format/whatever needed the article.

I updated the 0876 article with another cause/remedy... I never remove reasons for the errors, only add... this means you don't need to keep a seperate copy for each version of BR!, they're good for all of them... Occosinally There are version specific things - I just note that in the error code article whenever I can.

-John B.
Susan Smith

Post by Susan Smith »

Hi John,

When I mentioned an up to date error codes file, I wasn't very specific. I was referring to ERRORS.TXT that is used with David's helptips application that you run from your desktop.

Thanks for pointing out the wiki. I usually go there first for everything that ISN'T an error code. I thought that everyone was using the helptips program for error code definitions so I assumed that there was an updated version of the text file somewhere. I guess I'd better get busy and update mine then!

-- Susan
gtisdale

Post by gtisdale »

Attached is my latest version of ERRORS.TXT for use with David Blankenship's HELOTIP.exe.

The 807 error is the result of the change in Border specification in 4.2. The easiest thing to do will be to set BORD$ to "S" or "D" rather than using the linedraw characters.

The description for 876 has changed to be more specific. You are attempting to read a single cell in a LISTVIEW rathather than a GRID. Read tyhe row and then select the cell value based on the row number selected.
Attachments
errors.txt
Error codes for those using David's utility HELPTIP.exe
(543.93 KiB) Downloaded 1353 times
Susan Smith

Post by Susan Smith »

Thank you George! That is SO helpful.

-- Susan
John

Post by John »

If you add the BR!Wiki as a search provider in the top right corner of your browser - than it works just like helptip.exe does... you type in an error code and hit enter and it takes you to the brwiki page... of course it also works for other br keywords and gives more up-to-date info, allows editing, etc...

I've not written the updater for the helptip file from the BRWiki, cause I don't use it. I'm glad to see you have, George!

-John B.
gtisdale

Post by gtisdale »

Try it, you'll like it.

You can also use ERRORS.TXT without HELPTIP.exe by using FNHELPTXT in FNSNAP.DLL.

By passing the error number as an argument to FNHELPTXT BR will display a standard MSGBOX with the help text displayed. Much easier than loading a browser and typing the error into the correct seach engine.

60700 DEF LIBRARY FNERRTXT(ERNO)
60710 LIBRARY ENV$("PD")&"vol002\fnsnap.dll": FNGETHANDLE
60715 IF NOT ESC THEN EXECUTE "PROC=*"&ENV$("PD")&"vol002\tt"
60720 OPEN #(ERRTXT:=FNGETHANDLE): "name="&ENV$("PD")&"vol002\errors.txt",DISPLAY,INPUT
60730 LET X$="Error code "&CNVRT$("PIC(####)",ERNO)
60740 DIM ER$*2000
60750 LINPUT #ERRTXT: ER$ EOF ZERRTXT
60760 IF NOT X$=ER$(1:15) THEN GOTO 60750
60770 LET MSGBOX(SREP$(ER$(17:INF),"\n",CRLF$),"Error Description")
60780 ZERRTXT: CLOSE #ERRTXT: !:
LET ERRTXT=0
60790 FNEND
John

Post by John »

*IF* you have internet access - you *could* update your functions to use the BRWiki with a command like line 20 (below)

10 lookmeup$="0002" ! also could be "rinput" or just about any BR keyword
20 execute "sy start http://brwiki.ads.net/index.php?search="&lookmeup$

or both - or give options or w/e... personally I prefer the power of being able to add notes/edit/update the errors...

I use the same technique from N++ (and soon MyEditBR) to look up my br keywords on the wiki mid-coding.

Lot's of ways to skin a cat.
=)
John

Post by John »

Susan/George/etc did we ever decide what an error 0807 is? I'm looking at the documentation on the BR Wiki and it's just a shell with no real information.
gtisdale

Post by gtisdale »

Error 807
"Invalid BORDER specification in OPEN statement for a window"

The BORDER spec was changed and some of the letters that we used to use are no longer valid, I believe only D and S are valid, the others cause an error. I tried reviewing old release notes, but could not find the reference.

Error 876
Trying to use GRID specifications when processing a LIST

"Attempt to read a single cell instead of a row on a LISTVIEW.

Cause

Cause Using GRID only syntax when accessing a LISTVIEW."
John

Post by John »

George,
I added your 0807 error definition on the BR! Wiki. If you are keeping a separate set of error code documentation? Perhaps we should discuss combining our efforts.
gtisdale

Post by gtisdale »

I use David Blankenship's HELPTIPS.exe routine to lookup error codes from the Windows short-cut bar and also a routine in fnsnap to display error codes trapped by BR.

Both routines use the same TXT file to display the data. The record number in the TXT file corresponds with the error number. I keep errors.txt in myt vol002 directory.

Attached is the current ERRORS.txt file thta I use. I try to keep it up to date based on release notes etc.

If you need a copy of David's routine let me know. I believe a copy is posted in the BRG_PUB directory on the ADS FTP site.
Attachments
errors.txt
Error code descriptions
(543.93 KiB) Downloaded 1165 times