Gantt Chart

General development discussion.

Moderators: Susan Smith, admin, Gabriel

GomezL

Gantt Chart

Post by GomezL »

I have been looking into Gantt Chart software.

Wikipedia describes it very well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gantt

I am wondering if anyone else has already worked with a this type of charting software, and has any opinions on a product to try.

With BR, I think that a product that interfaces with an XML file seems like the best option!
Susan Smith

Post by Susan Smith »

Luis, I understand how this type of charting would be useful in a project management application. But my vision stops there. How might it be used in a software package such as yours? Can you give an example?
Larry TIetz

Post by Larry TIetz »

Keeping track of court filing deadlines !
Susan Smith

Post by Susan Smith »

Okay, I suppose. I remember in high school when I was first exposed to this type of graph (though I didn't recall that it had the name Gantt), I was told that these were graphs that charted "time duration" rather than "time stamps". In other words, a "Meeting at 3:00" appointment would NOT be the appropriate data for such a graph where "meeting 3:00-5:00" WOULD be. That's why I was curious as to how it corresponded to other features in Luis' BR application.
Larry TIetz

Post by Larry TIetz »

And now I am recalling PERT charts. I guess the biggest thing is adapting what we learn in one place and applying to another. High school (and later) might not be directly applicable, but utlimately might have been helpful after all.
GomezL

Post by GomezL »

Calendering and Scheduling is part of the application.
Susan Smith

Post by Susan Smith »

Oh! Well Gantt charts make a lot of sense then. Next time I see you, I'd love to see that part of your application :)

-- Susan
Gabriel

Re: Gantt Chart

Post by Gabriel »

GomezL wrote:I have been looking into Gantt Chart software.

Wikipedia describes it very well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gantt

I am wondering if anyone else has already worked with a this type of charting software, and has any opinions on a product to try.

With BR, I think that a product that interfaces with an XML file seems like the best option!
It would be fun to write one in BR.

Gabriel