insert

General development discussion.

Moderators: Susan Smith, admin, Gabriel

Rick Graham

insert

Post by Rick Graham »

Under older versions BR, if you pressed the insert key it would toggle back to overtype once you left the field (maybe it required the enter key).

Under 4.20 it now is only effected by the INSERT key itself. I know that this is how Windows works, but it is driving my latest update client's users crazy. It also drives me "up a tree" when I'm trying to edit a program.

Is there a way to revert back to the old way? I did a status all, but didn't see an OPTION to do this.

I have had this client since the early days of the 5110 - they don't take to change well.

Rick Graham
gordon

Post by gordon »

The biggest objection people have to using the Windows style of INSERT processing pertains to overtyping data in short fields with DATAHILITE off. The problem occurs when the cursor advances to a field which has data in it and the user wants to overtype the data and Insert is ON.

This problem is normally alleviated by turning DATAHILITE on or by specifying "CONFIG INSERT MIN_LENGTH 10".

The MIN_LENGTH specification causes short fields to carry a separate Insert mode setting from longer text fields where Insert ON is normally desired.

Are you doing either or these things at the sites where customers are complaining?