CRC error

General development discussion.

Moderators: Susan Smith, admin, Gabriel

Susan Smith

CRC error

Post by Susan Smith »

Does anyone know how to delete a file when you get a CRC error (cyclic redundancy check) anytime you try to access it - even to look at the properties (which I can't)?

This is a BRS file created in MyEdit which somehow went bad. I've moved all other programs out of the folder, and I can't even delete the folder. I have no idea what to do to get rid of this. I tried to FREE it inside of BR, which didn't work, and I tried to use CMD to get to it. No luck. My backup routine is choking when it gets to this file so I can't just leave it there.

-- Susan
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

If a file gets stuck its usually something that went wrong in windows.. Have you tried restarting your computer? Sometimes that helps.. if it doesn't, restart your computer into Safe Mode and try to delete the file, or restart into Safe Mode with Command Prompt Only and delete it from there.

If you restart and the file is not there, don't worry, it probably really isn't there.

The other option is that it may be caused by a bad sector in your hard drive.. Chkdsk may be able to help .. it can be used to find bad sectors and mark them so the computer won't try to use them again.. But if you do have a bad sector in your hard drive, its time to buy another hard drive before more of it goes out. They're so cheap these days and way cheaper then the hassle of dealing with lost data.

Gabriel
Susan Smith

Post by Susan Smith »

Thanks to all! Rick Graham and Mikhail had the secret. I tried CHKDSK (which I don't think I've used since the DOS days!) and lo and behold, one bad sector was quarantined and the bad file was removed. Thank you!

-- Susan
Rick Graham

Post by Rick Graham »

Everyone should buy a copy of SpinRite. It a low-level disk repair program from gibson research. You can buy a new hard drive cheaper than you can buy the software but once you have it you can use it on drive after drive. chkdsk is great but sometimes it just can't fix things.
SpinRite doesn't care wht the OS is, it works at the sector lever, you have to boot from a diskette or CD that the program creates. It had saved many a hard drive for me and recovered data that would other wise would have been lost. Chkdsk fixes file table problems and SpinRite fixes sector problems.

Rick Graham
Susan Smith

Post by Susan Smith »

Hi Rick,

Funny that you should mention Spinrite. I actually have this and never thought of it when I got the CRC error. I've been using Spinrite since the DOS days. I was a member of a (now defunct) huge IBM users group here in So. California which was started in the 80s by Steve Bass, a former columnist at PC World and all around brilliant guy. Steve Gibson (GRC- makers of Spinrite) used to come as a guest to our meetings every so often and he was always entertaining and informative. Plus, he's a genius and has a very useful product.

I wish I had thought of that lonely Spinrite disk sitting here in my office when I got the CRC error. I don't often think of it because I've been lucky with hard drives for the most part. I tend to replace the computer long before the drives fail. Thanks for reminding me.

-- Susan