windows user limitation

General development discussion.

Moderators: Susan Smith, admin, Gabriel

gordon

windows user limitation

Post by gordon »

Notes from Dan Walter.. ( posted for future reference )

Windows versions windows 2000, XP, and 2003 have a registry configured limit on Session Space. Session space is dynamic starting in windows vista, so this will not be a problem in newer versions of windows. Lack of session space will limit the number of br sessions that a windows server can serve. The number of sessions can be increased by increasing thee amount of session space available.

The registry key for this is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\SessionViewSize

The default value is 48 MB, or 0x30. When I doubled this to 0x60, I was able to double the number of sessions allowed.

This is a per windows session size (each windows terminal session will use one of these) – so I would not recommend making this number excessively large. In theory, it should be possible to have 2 sessions for each MB so the default value of 48 should support 96 sessions though some other windows components use some of this frequently reducing the number to about 75 – this would mean windows is using memory for 21 sessions. Doubling the default value to 96 should allow 96 * 2 = 192 – 21 = 171 sessions.

There is also another registry entry:
SharedSection=1024,3072,512 Windows=On SubSystemType=Windows

Where the third parameter 512 is for non-interactive desktops. I think it is likely that reducing this value would also increase the number of sessions that could be started. This may have a negative impact on other components of the windows system though.