Post by mluchterhand »

Hi Everyone,

During our daily indexing the following commands are issued:

EXECUTE 'config collate alternate'
index statement 1...
index statement 2...
etc....
EXECUTE 'config collate native'

I'm wondering what the config collate alternate does differently. I am in the process of migrating from 4.16 to 4.18 and anytime I come across an index file that is processed after the config alternate command I get an error 0632 which is Problem with index file. I'm tempted to just take out the config collate alternate statement and see what happens but I'm sure there must be some reasoning as to why this type of indexing was used. I wasn't able to turn up any info about it on the Wiki.
Thanks - Matt Luchterhand
dmeenen

Post by dmeenen »

Found this in the BR Manual:
BRConfig.sys Configuration Parameters
Collate Alternate
CONFIGCOLLATE ALTERNATE filename has been removed.

Start-up Default:
COLLATE NATIVE ! ASCII sequence
Parameters:
COLLATE NATIVE specifies the ASCII collating sequence. In this sequence, the
binary representations of the numbers 0-9 precede those of the uppercase letters A-Z, which in turn precede their lowercase counterparts. The numbers 0-9, then, are
represented by ASCII codes 048-057; uppercase letters are represented by ASCII
codes065-090, and lowercase lettersare represented by codes097-122.
(See Appendix H fora complete listing of ASCII codes.)
The COLLATE ALTERNATE specification specifies a collating sequence similar to
EBCDIC in that the numbers 0-9 follow uppercase and lowercase letters (other
values will differ). With COLLATE ALTERNATE, 0-9 are represented by codes 176-195.
dmeenen

Post by dmeenen »

CONFIGCOLLATE ALTERNATE filename has been removed with version4.16
PJKLUG

Post by PJKLUG »

EXECUTE "CONFIG COLLATE ALTERNATE" works fine for me in 4.18i and it had better continue to work through all the new versions. It is the first line of all my WBConfig.sys files. The term "AlphaNumeric" in itself infers that Alpha appears before Numeric. In 4.18i I have reindexed files with "CONFIG COLLATE NATIVE" and the numerics appear before the alphas and then did a EXECUTE "CONFIG COLLATE ALTERNATE" and reindexed and the numerics were back at the end of the alphas with no indexing or accessing errors.

There is the issue that "ALL" indexes need to be rebuilt in 4.18 when moving from 4.16 because of the new indexing routine. This could be what is causing the error because "COLLATE ALTERNATE" works fine.

Pete Klug - CTL