tooltip

General development discussion.

Moderators: Susan Smith, admin, Gabriel

John

tooltip

Post by John »

how can i do a print fields statement that allows it to have a tooltip when the user hovers over it? I searched the wiki but can only find that screenio is capable of it. I couldn't find anything about it in the print fields documentation either. a simple example would suffice.

-john
John Bowman
Gabriel

Re: tooltip

Post by Gabriel »

ScreenIO does it by using BR's FIELD HELP ability: HELP=";4;This is some helptext."

http://brwiki2.brulescorp.com/index.php ... Field_Help

The wiki seems to be missing examples for doing it with PRINT FIELDS but the syntax is the same for both INPUT FIELDS and PRINT FIELDS.

The number 4 in my example indicates weather to use tooltip or a big garish oldschool non-gui window for the help text (useful if you have clients running your app on linux under putty and can't use New GUI).

All help text appears as tool tip text. However, if the users HELP level (which must be 1, 2, or 3) is greater then the help level of the help text, then it also displays that help text in a big garish non-gui child window.

Help text help level 4 is higher then any possible users help level, so using 4 means it will only ever display as a tooltip and never as an oldskool field help window.

ScreenIO uses help level 4 by default (or level 3 when running under BR 4.1 because 4 wasn't added until 4.2)

Gabriel
John

Re: tooltip

Post by John »

I got it! Here's a working sample:

print #101,fields '10,10,C 10', help "4;Pay Frequencies: \n W - Weekly\n B - Biweekly;": 'test'
John Bowman