proc beeps

More advanced topics discussed.

Moderators: Susan Smith, admin, Gabriel

John

proc beeps

Post by John »

When I do a great big proc to recompile all of my programs from source, I get some beeps. But the apparently the errors aren't major enough to trigger the procerr stop. How can I determine the cause of these beeps? Is there a certain logging level or something?

-John
John Bowman
gordon

Re: proc beeps

Post by gordon »

I too would like to know the reason for this. I suggest you use a binary search technique as follows:
  • Make a source copy of the PROC. (set aside the original)
  • Make a working copy of the first half of the source copy.
  • Execute the working copy.
  • If it beeps and continues, copy it to the source copy, and resume at step 2.
  • If it doesn't beep and continue, make a working copy of the second half of the source copy and resume at step 3.
In a surprisingly few iterations you will discover the source of the problem.
John

Post by John »

Sorry - that was more than a month ago... I don't have that proc anymore.
John Bowman
John

Post by John »

This is an ongoing problem in automated procs. a non manual solution is needed, if possible. occosionally I make procs to replace all the code in my system... for example I'd like to RENUM LABELS_ONLY every program in my system. The proc is, over all, millions of lines long and takes hours to run. breaking it apart like you suggested does not seem like a viable option. If there is a solution that would make it stop when it encountered the error that would be ideal.
John Bowman
John

Post by John »

This is an ongoing problem. I often load source from dozens of programs and replace them in procs. sometimes I have errors - it sure would be swell if there was a way to make the proc stop when there was an error without me having to go back and manually work through the proc file every time.

Any chance we might get an option for this, Gordon? Seems like that is what ProcErr Stop would do.

-John
John Bowman
gordon

Post by gordon »

I'm not aware of any situation where BR produces an error and continues other than on a program statement with ERROR IGNORE.

Is this anything that is reproducible?
John

Post by John »

ok - with the latest BR I re-ran the proc that encountered so many beeps and would fail and it worked! I had a couple 213 and 223 errors but it stopped and let me investigate and correct them. Now finally all my .br and .brs files have renum labels_only applied to them. I'm not sure what went right - but I'm ever so happy that it did.

-John
John Bowman