PSPad with BR version 3.9 and 4.1

Discussion about software products provided for the BR community and created by its members. This includes (but is not limited to): MyEdit, File IO, Screen IO, FNSnap, and Utilities written in other languages for use with Business Rules.

Moderators: Susan Smith, admin, Gabriel

rvancura

PSPad with BR version 3.9 and 4.1

Post by rvancura »

Greetings,

I would like to configure PSPad to view/edit my company's BR programs. I'm trying to view a test program for version 4.17. Does anyone know the proper settings/format in PSPad I need to have, to achieve this?

Thanks,

Ryan
Attachments
screen shots.zip
(159.34 KiB) Downloaded 804 times
Ryan Vancura
rvancura

Edit command for 4.15 +

Post by rvancura »

I read the following in the BR manual:

In the following example, the program EDIT.BR contains only one line and is
currently loaded in memory. The BRCONFIG.SYS file contains the statement:
EDITOR "C:\Program Files\JGsoft\EditPadPro\EditPadPro.exe"

I was able to edit my 4.17 program with PSPad after adding a similar line of code to the BRconfig file. However, I couldn't find a solution for the 3.9 programs. Does anyone have an idea, or is updating all programs to 4.17 my best bet ?

Thanks,

Ryan
Ryan Vancura
Susan Smith

Post by Susan Smith »

Ryan,

I don't believe that EDIT (and the corresponding EDITOR parameter in BRCONFIG.SYS) were added to BR until version 4.1. I was looking in the release notes and it seems that it first appeared in with that release. I don't know if there was a way to automate editing BR programs before that.

I wonder if any of the scripting programs such as AUTO-IT could help with automating this in pre-4.1.

-- Susan
GomezL

Post by GomezL »

As Susan mentioned, "EDIT/EDITOR" is a BR 4.1 feature.

If you are actively developing a "3.9" project, then it would probably be worth your time to update BR to the current release "4.2",

By using Option Statements in the WBCONFIG.SYS, you should be able to run your 3.9 code without requiring any major changes to your softwware.

Here are a few that helped me to transition:

REM ---- USE THESE CONFIGURATION SETTINGS TO MAKE BR 4.03 WORK WITH BR 4.17
GUI OFF
OPTION 38
option 43
INSERT MIN_LENGTH 11
OPTION 44 ON
OPTION 45

I also documented various Options that were interesting for me for each version
REM ------------ [BR 4.17 OPTIONS] -------------------------
REM OPTION 24 = USE FREE INSTEAD OF TRUNCATE
REM OPTION 27 = IGNORE DATE PROBLEMS DURING INDEX
rem OPTION 29 = Use WB Instead of BR
REM OPTION 32 = IGNORE PRINTER ERRORS
REM OPTION 38 = ALLOW FIELD SPECIFIERS TO HAVE AN EXTRA N
REM OPTION 39 = Do not Right Justify on ":" field.
REM OPTION 99 = CHECK FOR TURBO FAT ERRORS!
REM OPTION 43 = USE "OLD CURFLD" instead of NXTFLD
REM OPTION 44 = Use Mousewheel
REM OPTION 45 = Use C 10/20 instead of 10/C 20
REM OPTION 54 = Return to system in the event that a user reaches the "READY PROMPT"

REM ------------ [BR 4.18 OPTIONS] -------------------------
REM OPTION 52 = Provide 2nd Click when using Double Click

REM ------------ [BR 4.2 OPTIONS] -------------------------
REM OPTION 56 = Return -1 when srch fails
REM OPTION 60 = Preserve Backwards Compatibility with BR 4.x
REM OPTION 61 = Do not Map a Drive if not explicitly defined in the MAPDRIVE.TXT
REM OPTION 62 = Use Draw Line Border Specification (Otherwise report error!)
REM OPTION 63 = INPUT SELECT "Reads Data" - We should use INPUT FIELDS With ^LABEL instead!
REM OPTION 68 = Do not Stretch NWP printing (Makes NWP more compatible with PCL)
rvancura

Thank you!

Post by rvancura »

Sorry, I have been on the road. I thought I had my account set to auto alert when I received a reply. Thanks for the help and info. I'll take a look tonight when I have access to my laptop.

Best regards,

Ryan
Ryan Vancura
John

Post by John »

I made notepad++ work very well with the business rules! language (and procs, and brconfig.sys, etc) and can probably help you with some of the details on the pspad ... it's probably somewhat similar - see how far you can get and then drop me an email (send me a p/m and i'll reply with my email) if you need list of keywords, or are having trouble figuring part of it out.

oh and (of course) my favorite source code editor is notepad++. Many of us like MyEditBR. Both are free. (Well MyEditBR has a paid version also - not sure if it's being developed any longer). Oh and EditPadPro is another free option that several of us also use. I assume you already know and love PSPad though - so let's make it work too :)

-John
John

Post by John »

You can use third party editors with older versions of BR!. It's just not quite as easy. you have to make the source code with "List >x.brs" and bring it back in by deleting all the lines and "proc x.brs"