Printing

Discussion about printing issues and techniques.

Moderators: Susan Smith, admin, Gabriel

Larry TIetz

Printing

Post by Larry TIetz »

I have a client with an Epson dot matrix printer attached to a server (prints from server, not network).

When I switch from NWP to PCL (config option 31 off), the first print job has issues. The second print job is normal.

Is there a command that should be sent to reset the printer when switching from NWP to PCL?

Is there a printer, server or networking setting that needs to be addressed?
John

Post by John »

I'm currious, why did you find it necessary to switch from NWP to PCL?
John Bowman
Larry TIetz

Post by Larry TIetz »

To maintain interim compatability as they migrate to new br and nwp.

Goal is all nwp relatively soon.
John

Post by John »

OH I see - I do not believe there is any special command, but you must close and reopen the printer file. this should cause the init to be resent automatically.

-john
John Bowman
gtisdale

Post by gtisdale »

Depending on what your default init string in PRINTER.SYS this may impact how the first print job prints. BR inserts a "standard" init string when the PCL file is opened. To eliminate this problem I have set the PRINTER.SYS lines to NOT print any default init as follows:

rem ***** Printer Init and Reset for PCL only
PRINTER PCL INIT
PRINTER PCL RESET "\EE"

You can then insert your own initialization strings as needed.

You indicated that you are printing PCL to a dot matrix printer. I was not aware that this would work. What model Epson are you using? OPTION 31 treats WIN printing as DIRECT which I huess means that you are actually just printing text vs PCL line drawing and graphics, so that would work, but you need to initialize the printer with the correct Epson init string

CHR$(27)&"@" ! Init using RESET command

FNGeorge
Larry TIetz

Post by Larry TIetz »

I probably misspoke. I used PCL meaning NWP was turned off. I send basic epson commands to the epson printer.

I will try the basic epson init