codepage 437

Discussion about printing issues and techniques.

Moderators: Susan Smith, admin, Gabriel

Rick Graham

codepage 437

Post by Rick Graham »

with ESC style printing to HP LaserJet. I could get codepage 437 by sending \E(10U to the printer.

How do I get codepage 437 with NWP?

Thanks
Rick Graham
Susan Smith

Post by Susan Smith »

I'm reposting here because edited messages (which this is) aren't recirculated to the old Emailing list. I keep getting things wrong today! (story of my life) I deleted my prior messages in this thread from the website, though you may have read them in the list anyway...

Let's start again.

Upon rereading Rick's original message, I see that he wants to select a particular SYMBOL SET, and not the font.

\E(10U (which is a PCL command that selects the PC-8 set (IBM extended ASCII symbols) doesn't appear to work in NWP mode (at least I couldn't get it to work).

Rick, it seems to me that your options are:

1. talk to ADS or somebody a lot more knowledgeable than me
2. install a comparable Windows TTF that has the appropriate symbol set. I didn't search for one since I didn't know exactly which symbol(s) you're after, but some of the PC-8 characters - or similar ones at least - are available in the Wingdings fonts. You may want to check those since they are installed on most Windows computers.
3. use PRN (direct) mode just for those reports that need these characters so that you can use the \E(10U PCL command

If someone else can shed some light on this, please do tell!

-- Susan
Rick Graham

Post by Rick Graham »

What I really need the codepage 437 for is print screens. If I use printscreen GUI, then everthing shows, but with a non-white background, it consumes a lot of toner on a black and white printer.

I've tried using PJL: @PJL DEFAULT SYMSET=PC8
which is codepage 437, but BR seems to override it.

Rick Graham
Susan Smith

Post by Susan Smith »

I was unaware that you could control the font in a PrintScreen. Are you saying that it displays on the screen with PC-8, but the printscreen doesn't use the same symbol set? What characters are you trying to display on both screen and printer? Maybe if you pasted a screenshot here, it would help the discussion.

-- Susan
Rick Graham

Post by Rick Graham »

I setup the printer when BR is 1st loaded using PJL, the printscreen then works correctly. If you are using the Generic/Textonly print driver with PCL printing, you can also set the codepage under the Font Selection TAB on the printer properties. I even tried the Generic with NWP and sent PJL to the printer, but the BR printscreen seems to override it.

I can't figure out how to attach an image.

Rick
Susan Smith

Post by Susan Smith »

To post an image here in the forum, you use the "Img" button that is right above the reply window when you are typing your text. I don't know how you get a screen capture into an image file in Linux unless you have screen capture software that can do it (Gimp, Gnome, and others)

In Windows, you can capture the screen with the PrtScrn button (or Alt-PrtScrn for the active window) and then you'd paste that into your graphics software (MS Paint comes with Windows). From there you can save it to your hard drive so that you can use the [Img] button to include it in your forum message.

-- Susan
dmeenen

Post by dmeenen »

Rick's image came through as text in the form of [img]c:\work4\menu.jpg[/img].

Is there a way to attach a program to this new forum?
I tried last week, and none of the buttons above the message support attaching a file.
If I can't send a sample program with the message, and have to send the text of the program (in the message), then the functionality of the new forum has been diminished.

If the whole idea behind the forum is to get "HELP" from other BR programmers, then why can't I attach a program to get some help?
Susan Smith

Post by Susan Smith »

Doug,

Two things happened. First of all, the Rick's original message with the image was deleted from the new forum (I imagine that he deleted it, but I don't know for sure). So you didn't get the image in the new forum. Secondly, when the new forum "copied" that message to the old mailing list, it can't pass the image through that "forwarding" process. So you didn't get the image in the old maillist either.

As for attachments, you CAN add an attachment in the new forum. Right below the window where you type in your text, there is an "add an attachment" section. I have used that section successfully myself so I know it works.

-- Susan
Rick Graham

Post by Rick Graham »

When the image didn't show up, I deleted the message.

I guess I'm blind or stupid or both, but I don't see anything about adding an attachment to a new message or a reply to an existing message.

Maybe it had something to do with my access level?

Rick
gordon

Post by gordon »

Just below the box where you enter text is a section called Add an Attachment. (see the yellow caption on the blue stripe)

It has an entry field for a filename with a browse button followed by a text entry space for comments associated with the attachment.

Select the file you want to upload and hit Add Attachment.

I don't believe we allow executables, but we do allow BR programs.
Rick Graham

Post by Rick Graham »

If I could attached an image you could see that I have no "attachment" option when replying to a message :roll:
I'm going to reply to the email message of this post and attach the image of my message posting session.

Rick
Rick Graham

Post by Rick Graham »

anyone ever figure out why some of us can't add attachments to a message so that maybe we can figure out my original codepage 437 problem
Rick Graham
Susan Smith

Post by Susan Smith »

I think we handed that off to Chris and Gordon, but I'm not sure. Perhaps they can check in and let us know where this stands. We did establish that some of us can do it, so I imagine that it's a permission issue of some sort.

-- Susan
Rick Graham

Post by Rick Graham »

I posted a message in the General Development section and I had the attachment option. I then tried a Reply and it gave me the attachment option (but I didn't actually post the reply).

I tried a new message in this Printing section and I got the attachement(but didn't actually post the message).

I'm will post a new 437 message and attach an image that I'm trying to print

Rick Graham
Rick Graham

Post by Rick Graham »

I take that back, I wasn't looking at the screen very closely.

Only the General Development section gives me the attachment option!!!!

Rick Graham