NWP

Discussion about printing issues and techniques.

Moderators: Susan Smith, admin, Gabriel

Rick Graham

NWP

Post by Rick Graham »

BR 4.20e
NWP
HP Officejet J4580 All-in-One Printer connected vua USB
Courier New, 10cpi, 6LPI

When I print a 1 page report, all is fine.
If I print a 5 page report, only page 5 prints

using same computer, printing same report to a HP LaserJet 2300 across the network to a shared printed, all 5 pages print correctly.

I'm not doing any special in the report, basically just "line printing"

Anyone have anything similar going on?

Thanks
Rick Graham
Susan Smith

Post by Susan Smith »

Rick,

Do you have the default printer driver installed for that All-in-one? Can you temporarily try another driver to see if the problem persists?

-- Susan
Rick Graham

Post by Rick Graham »

Tried the install CD, then the latest driver from HP's website, same results. Since it's connected via USB, most "normal" drivers don't work.
The specs says it supports PCL GUI, I tried generic-text only with NWP off and nothing prints at all. Tried the HP Universal Printing PCL5 driver with NWP on and nothing. I checked ADS website and it appears 4.20e is nowhere to be found. Has it been pulled due to bugs?
Rick
Susan Smith

Post by Susan Smith »

Gordon may have to reply to this one. I don't have any USB printers at the moment - they are all ethernet connections. So I can't try one for you. If anyone else has a USB printer, perhaps they can try it to see if we can eliminate that as the cause in 4.20e.

I hadn't heard that 4.20e had been pulled, but I don't think it was the "public" release yet anyway.

-- Susan
gordon

Post by gordon »

4.2E was pulled because it had a problem with the MyEditBR debugger. I'm sorry for the delay in 4.20F. We are dealing with an unusual problem relating to sequential reads via an index, and it is only showing up in a very complex scenario.

To my knowledge it is the only remaining known significant bug. 4.20F should be a landmark release. We have made no printing changes since E that I know of.

Have you tried this with other BR releases?
Rick Graham

Post by Rick Graham »

Susan: I try to get my clients to always buy genuine HP LaserJets with ethernet ports, but...

For low volume printing an inkjet is fine with me as long as it supports PCL because I kwow that sometimes folks want to print something off the web in color.

But things slip between the cracks, therefore I support NWP. I have a wbconfig.sys and a wbconfig.nwp so it's easy to flip back and forth.

The clinic called asking about this Officejet beacuse Office Depot had it on sale for $69. I looked at the specs and found that it supports PCL GUI.
"yeah, right" With PCL printing, no errors, no anything.

Printing continues to be more art than science.

Rick Graham
Rick Graham

Post by Rick Graham »

Gordon: haven't tried a prior version, the printer is an hour away.

They only print 3 things to that printer:
1. print screen = no problem
2. a 1 page report = no problem
3. a 5 page report = the problem. I got around it by closing the printer file and re-opening it in my top of page routine,

The next time I'm there, I will try an earlier releae, maybe "F" will be out by then

Rick Graham
gordon

Post by gordon »

How do you survive without using desktop sharing for support and training?

Consider Ultra VNC (more sophisticated) and or Crossloop (simpler).
Both are free, although Crossloop should be licensed if used regularly.

Ultra VNC works on all Windows, including W7 and has drag and drop file transfer. You can even use a browser as a client.
Rick Graham

Post by Rick Graham »

If the client has cable/dsl internet I use Remote desktop, a few I still have to use dial-up and PC Anywhere.

It's hard to tell whats printing when you are remote. With this client it's useless trying to get them to describe the problem. They pay for drive time and mileage, so I usually just go there about once a month and work on their queue of problems.

Rick Graham