Duplexing does not work correctly from PREVIEW in BR 4.2

Discussion about printing issues and techniques.

Moderators: Susan Smith, admin, Gabriel

Susan Smith

Duplexing does not work correctly from PREVIEW in BR 4.2

Post by Susan Smith »

Hi all,

In NWP, has anyone tried to print to PREVIEW and then duplex the report when you print it to the printer? This is in BR 4.2.

My report is a landscape report that is supposed to flip on the long side. It works beautifully if I don't send it to PREVIEW first. But with PREVIEW, when I click the print button to send it to the printer, the even numbered pages are turned upside down 180 degrees.

I have tried it two ways:

1. Building the DUPLEX command into my print stream in my BR report program with PRINTER.SYS

(from PRINTER.SYS)...

rem ***** Duplex Mode NWP
PRINTER NWP [SIMPLEX], "\E&l0S"
PRINTER NWP [DUPLEX], "\E&l1S"
PRINTER NWP [DUPLEX SHORTEDGE], "\E&l2S"

2. Duplex at the time of printing with the printer driver.

I have the same duplexing result if I don't select duplexing inside my program, but rather when the printer selection box comes up. At that point, I select PROPERTIES and choose 2-sided printing. Same problem. This is obviously a PREVIEW problem.

Has anyone else run into this? In case I wasn't clear, the printer can do automatically duplexing (HP Laserjet P3005) and it duplexes beautifully if I don't send it through PREVIEW first.

-- Susan
gtisdale

Post by gtisdale »

This is actually "logical" behavior since preview, to be usable turns your backside pages rightside up for previewing purposes. Once turned rightside up they are not turned upside down again when sent to the printer.

It would be nice to have preview remember that pages were turned, but you indicate that it currently does not. So you might want to consider a work-around.

A workaround might consist of printing to a file and then displaying a MSGBOX for Preview or Print. You could use FNPRINT from FNSNAP to send the print job to either a preview and print pages all the sameway up, or send the file to a printer without previewing to have the pages aligned the way you want.

FNPRINT syntax is simply:

LET FNPRINT(filename$,printer$)

so

LET FNPRINT("TEMP\REPORT","WIN:/DEFAULT")

would print to the printer with mixed orientation while

LET FNPRINT("TEMP\REPORT","PREVIEW:/DEFAULT")

Would sent it to the rpeview and print rightside up destination

FNGeorge