4.03k vs 4.20

Great resource for those just getting started.

Moderators: Susan Smith, admin, Gabriel

John

4.03k vs 4.20

Post by John »

I go back and forth between 4.03k and 4.20. I use option 60 to ensure comparability with my program files. However I still have an issue with programs becoming corrupted and un-loadable.

In 4.20 I get an error 9309 and in 4.03k I get an error 2070.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Most the time it works - but when it fails I can't load my .br program anywhere and have to revert to a source copy - which I generally regard as temporary. (and any changes my dad might have made will be lost because he doesn't use a third party editor)

any ideas?

-John Bowman
gordon

Post by gordon »

Are you saying you cannot list with input redirection?

e.g. LIST <program_name.wb >program_name.wbs
John

Post by John »

OH - like without loading it at all. I don't know. I did not try that. But next time I will.

Thanks,
John
John

Post by John »

That does work! But the source code it generates is corrupted. This is probably a problem with the antiquated 4.03 I'm using. I'll just keep using my Notepad++ for editing... with it's verbose backup option I'm able to keep a backup copy of the source code everytime I save. :)

-John Bowman
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

What do you mean the source is corrupted?

Does it not look like BR source code? Can you post an example?

If it does look like BR source code, then its possible there's some archaic command that's not supported in 4.03.

Gabriel
John

Post by John »

well I haven't inspected the corrupted source code other than noticing that spaces between line numbers and dims seem to disappear when it happens. I figure if only one other random character disappeared than I'd rather re-do my last round of changes anyway than track down a misspelled variable later, so I've always stopped inspecting at that point and started reverting.

But with the inevitable move to a modern version of BR! this problem will just go away of it's own accord. And slightly more adamant use of third party editors will prevent me from caring when it happens in the mean time.

Currently I use option 60 to keep my code compatible between 4.03 and 4.30. Are there others that I should be using as well?
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

In my understanding, that only keeps the format for .BR files compatible. If you're talking about source code, option 60 has no effect.

There are other things that could make your programs incompatible. For example, if you use a listview or a grid, even with option 60 on, that program will fail in 4.03 because the syntax for Listviews isn't supported in 4.03. Thats just one example.. there are many syntax changes between those versions that are not nearly so obvious. I ran into this problem before once because of a syntax change that I didn't know wasn't supported in 4.03.

Give us a sample of the corrupted Source Code!

Gabriel
gordon

Post by gordon »

Make sure you are doing your lists to source in the latest version of BR that you may have used to make changes to the program.