new workstation 4205 woes 4.03x

General development discussion.

Moderators: Susan Smith, admin, Gabriel

John

new workstation 4205 woes 4.03x

Post by John »

I'm setting up a new workstation with br 4.03x. When I try to load a program I get an error 4205. I thought this was a rights issue but I can manually add, edit, and delete files from my working directory and the windows directory.

Any ideas what the problem might be?

-John
GomezL

Post by GomezL »

Error 4205 is always an "Access Denied", but it's not always obvious where the issue is.

I don't exactly remember 4.03, but I think that in BR 4.03, all files are opened "OUTIN", even if you are only reading them.

In this case, it sounds like you don't have "Full Rights" the the program you are loading. It could for example be read only.
John

Post by John »

The other workstation doesn't seem to have a problem with rights. And I can read/write/delete to the c:\windows and working directory without any issues, however both my VB6 app and my BR! app have issues.

in my code most of my file i/o operations open files outin anyway - so you're definitely correct there.

in a similar wierd situation we made a new user account on the machine to fix the issue. i tried that here, but it didn't fix the issue.

everything worked during a local installation but not across the network...

I think we will try reinstalling windows or a different old XP machine.

sigh...

any other ideas are welcome.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Right click on the folder that the files are in and select properties. Go to the Security tab. Make sure that all permissions are set, and then click the advanced button.

On the Advanced tab, you'll find two check boxes on the left side, near the bottom. One of them says "Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries explicitly defined here". Select that check box and press the Ok button and wait while it adjusts the permissions of every file and folder in the folder you selected. After that it will work.

What OS is it?

I've had frequent security problems with Small Business Server 2010.

Thing is, every time I give them an update, the user i'm logged into on the server as i copy the files in, is the only username thats allowed to access the files. So if I copy the files onto the server as Administrator, then every other user gets 4205 error accessing any programs or data files that were just copied in. The solution is that each time I give them an update, I have to reset the security permissions in the way described above.
John

Post by John »

For the record I was not able to fix this error, we worked around it by thowing the windows XP computer away and replacing it with an XP virtual machine on their windows 7 machine.