e

General development discussion.

Moderators: Susan Smith, admin, Gabriel

John

e

Post by John »

Like so many other BR developers I maintain my programs in source code. Today I accidentally type the letter e and hit enter in a console window. It immediently enacted the Edit command and rebuilt the associated .br.brs file for the currently loaded program. I had to go back to my repositotory to get the old version of it. Is there anyway to disable the EDIT command, so that it never overwrites my source code? I'm happy using list >x.br.brs if I ever actually do need to rebuild source from a br file.

any ideas?

-John
John Bowman
gordon

Re: e

Post by gordon »

If you really don't ever want BR to overwrite your source programs, then you might consider removing the EDITOR statement from your BRconfig.sys file.

I think the best way for us to change BR to address this issue is to support ALIAS commands. We are not adding features to 4.3, but we will put ALIAS in the development queue for 4.4.

Another possibility would be for us to create BAK files, but that would add a lot of clutter.
John

Re: e

Post by John »

Gordon,
That worked great! I removed the editor statement from my brconfig.sys and now when I type e (or ed or edi or edit or even edit ~) than I just get an error 9307. That simple solution hadn't occurred to me.

For my own personal uses, I use PROC ED which does this:

exec 'sy C:\ACS\Dev-5\brEdit.cmd "'&os_filename$(program$)&'"'

and the brEdit.cmd... I attached that as a brEdit.txt, it's the same program I use in windows when I double click on a .br or .wb file. It launches the associated .br.brs file in my favorite editor.
Attachments
brEdit.txt
(1.73 KiB) Downloaded 541 times
John Bowman