[BR_forum] Reseting ERR

General development discussion.

Moderators: Susan Smith, admin, Gabriel

Mikhail Zheleznov

[BR_forum] Reseting ERR

Post by Mikhail Zheleznov »

If a NOKEY is encountered in a READ statement, then ERR is set 4272.

How do I reset ERR?
George Tisdale

[BR_forum] Reseting ERR

Post by George Tisdale »

Force it to another error that you specifically trap. Gabriel uses zero divide

Let x=1/0 error zdiv
Zdiv:continue

George L. Tisdale, CPA
Tisdale CPA
75 Junction Square Drive
Concord, MA 01742
(978) 369-5585
IRS Circular 230 Notice: "To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, we inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein."
This electronic message transmission contains information which is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination or distribution of this communication to other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by calling (978) 369-5585 or by electronic mail (gtisdale@tisdalecpa.com) Thank you.

From: br_forum-bounces@ads.net [mailto:br_forum-bounces@ads.net] On Behalf Of Mikhail Zheleznov
Sent: Monday, May 11, 2009 5:27 PM
To: Business Rules Forum
Subject: [BR_forum] Reseting ERR

How do I reset ERR?
Mikhail Zheleznov

[BR_forum] Reseting ERR

Thanks, George!

2009/5/11 George Tisdale <GTISDALE@tisdalecpa.com (GTISDALE@tisdalecpa.com)>

Let x=1/0 error zdiv

George L. Tisdale, CPA
Tisdale CPA
75 Junction Square Drive
Concord, MA  01742
(978) 369-5585
IRS Circular 230 Notice: "To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, we inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein."
This electronic message transmission contains information which is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination or distribution of this communication to other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by calling (978) 369-5585 or by electronic mail (gtisdale@tisdalecpa.com (gtisdale@tisdalecpa.com)) Thank you.

From: br_forum-bounces@ads.net (br_forum-bounces@ads.net) [mailto:br_forum-bounces@ads.net (br_forum-bounces@ads.net)] On Behalf Of Mikhail Zheleznov

How do I reset ERR?

Gabriel

[BR_forum] Reseting ERR

Post by Gabriel »

Mikhail,

I do use this teqnique whenever I have to, because sometimes its necessary. However, it makes for fragile and confusing code. Its much better to use the specific error trap routine to do this:

READ #1, using form$(1) : mat f$, mat f nokey TestNoKeyError
TestNoKeyError: ! Have your code for this error here.

Or, actually, here's an even better way:

READ #1, using form$(1) : mat f$, mat f nokey Ignore
if File(1)<>0 then
   ... handle your nokey error here
end if

See, using the FILE function returns the last error recieved with that file. You don't have to reset it because it resets automatically each time the file is read. The dirty work is done for you.

Gabriel

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 4:46 PM, Mikhail Zheleznov <zheleznovster@gmail.com (zheleznovster@gmail.com)> wrote:
Thanks, George!

2009/5/11 George Tisdale <GTISDALE@tisdalecpa.com (GTISDALE@tisdalecpa.com)>

Let x=1/0 error zdiv

George L. Tisdale, CPA
Tisdale CPA
75 Junction Square Drive
Concord, MA  01742
(978) 369-5585
This electronic message transmission contains information which is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination or distribution of this communication to other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by calling (978) 369-5585 or by electronic mail (gtisdale@tisdalecpa.com (gtisdale@tisdalecpa.com)) Thank you.

From: br_forum-bounces@ads.net (br_forum-bounces@ads.net) [mailto:br_forum-bounces@ads.net (br_forum-bounces@ads.net)] On Behalf Of Mikhail Zheleznov

How do I reset ERR?

Mikhail Zheleznov

[BR_forum] Reseting ERR

Wouldn't   FILE(1)<> 0 be true in other cases as well, and not only if there is a NOKEY?

I think FILE returns

-1File not opened. 0Operation performed successfully. 10End of file occurred during input. 11End of file occurred during output. 20Transmission error during input. 21Transmission error during output.

And NONE of these values is used specifically for NOKEY, at least not according to the documentation I'm looking at.
John

[BR_forum] Reseting ERR

Post by John »

if file(1)=11 and err=4272  i believe should test specivically for nokey

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 4:17 PM, Mikhail Zheleznov <zheleznovster@gmail.com (zheleznovster@gmail.com)> wrote:
Wouldn't   FILE(1)<> 0 be true in other cases as well, and not only if there is a NOKEY?

I think FILE returns

-1File not opened. 0Operation performed successfully. 10End of file occurred during input. 11End of file occurred during output. 20Transmission error during input. 21Transmission error during output.

And NONE of these values is used specifically for NOKEY, at least not according to the documentation I'm looking at.
John Bowman
Gabriel

[BR_forum] Reseting ERR

Post by Gabriel »

Yes, File(1) will be 10 if there is a nokey. But I find that I generally want to do the same thing (ie, stop reading) no matter what file(1) is. If file(1) is 0, I read, if not, i don't read.

If you want to make sure you are testing for NOKEY, then still, don't use ERR. Its messy and unreliable.

Instead, use the NOKEY error condition.

READ #1, using form$(1) : mat f$, mat f NOKEY HandleNokeyError

Then, later you have a line somewhere called HandleNoKeyError

HandleNoKeyError: ! Handle the error here
continue ! or retry or whatever you want  to do

Does this help?

Gabriel

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 3:17 PM, Mikhail Zheleznov <zheleznovster@gmail.com (zheleznovster@gmail.com)> wrote:

I think FILE returns

-1 File not opened. 0 Operation performed successfully. 10 End of file occurred during input. 11 End of file occurred during output. 20 Transmission error during input. 21 Transmission error during output.