[BR_forum] 4.2 Parent=None and other Needed Capabilites

General development discussion.

Moderators: Susan Smith, admin, Gabriel

Stephen Koger

[BR_forum] 4.2 Parent=None and other Needed Capabilites

Post by Stephen Koger »

Caveat: If any of these requests are already available. Don’t just tell me.. SHOW ME with example code.. So we ALL can benefit… That is why we are here!

I hereby request the ability to have a Fkey Value assigned to then Min and Max button on a window, that the FKEY value start with the file channel number associated with the window. So I can know if they clicked on them. Then I also need the ability to force a window back up from being minimized.

Need FKEY’s to be tied to Window they are assigned in. Make the Window number part of the value that is returned.

Need ability to programmatically force focus to anything on any of the Windows. A cell in a Grid. A button on a window(Been wishing for Buttons to have Focus since GUI Started). A Label on a Window.

Not necessarily parent=none requests.. but just as important to make 4.2 complete Don’t talk to me about SQL/XML, http, advanced PEM and other stuff that is just flash. Finish 4.2 GUI Core capability BR has not even gotten to a 4.21 yet where 4.1x made it to a 4.18. So there is still plenty of room for functionality additions in 4.2. These are Not 4.3 Feature Requests..

Need ability to programmatically know what they have clicked on to be sorted in a List or Grid. Would be nice to be able to state whether you want Array holding List/Grid to actually reorder or not. There are many instances where I would like the whole array to reorder based upon their sort selection.

Need a Variable for each Window that is opened that contains CURRENT(On the Fly) window Resolution and Placement

I am sure I can think of more. Be sure to chime in and add your requests as well or if you have figured out a way to do these things… IN BR then please give me an example. I stress in BR.

Steve
GomezL

Post by GomezL »

I remember that BR 4.2 has the ability to "Remember" where the user moved the "Pop-UP" Window.

What I can't remember is how to "Turn on" this feature!

I think the key was to "Name" the window.
GomezL

Post by GomezL »

PARENT=NONE

If GUI mode is ON then PARENT=NONE may be stated when OPENing a window. This will create an independent window using the specified channel.
This new window inherits any unspecified attributes from the program's
main console.

When a GUI mode switch is made, all windows are closed and the main console
is reopened. Note that Parent=None windows are NOT main consoles.
Attempts to output to a previously existing non-console window after a mode
switch, without opening it fresh, will generate error 0704 (file not open).

Any attempt to open a window with Parent=None while GUI mode is OFF
produces error 0877.

OPEN ... "… ROW= ,COL= " specifies the preferred position of the new independent window relative to window zero ( the main console ). Use negative values to position the window to the left of or above the main console. BR will attempt to honor the request keeping the new window entirely viewable up to the maximum size of the screen. 'NAME=window-name' indicates that BR is to save the position of the window at the time it is closed and restore it when it is reopened, even across sessions. Replacement or overlaying windows can use the same window names to position themselves wherever and at whatever character size the user has changed it to. So once a window has been opened with a particular name subsequent opens ignore ROW= and COL= and instead use the stored values.