[BR_forum] Kudos to Dan and Gordon

Discussion about printing issues and techniques.

Moderators: Susan Smith, admin, Gabriel

GTISDALE at tisdalecpa...

Post by GTISDALE at tisdalecpa... »

I've been following the NWP theme and just tried the latest 4.18 with FNPRINTBOX and right justified numeric column.
I find that if I include a bar "|" or non-bar "[|]" around the data that FNPRINTBOX drops to a report that right justification works without having to use non-proportional fonts and without having to do the whole BOX thing. RIGHT LEFT and CENTYER all work!
Using this I can position my cursor and align my columns.
See attached demo program (you'll have to rem out a few lines to make it work as well as have FNSNAP.dll
<<testcols.br>>

George L. Tisdale, CPA
Tisdale CPA
75 Junction Square Drive
Concord, MA 01742
(978) 369-5585
IRS Circular 230 Notice: "To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, we inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein."

This electronic message transmission contains information which is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination or distribution of this communication to other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by calling (978) 369-5585 or by electronic mail (gtisdale@tisdalecpa.com) Thank you.

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)
gothnerd at gmail.com

Post by gothnerd at gmail.com »

to try it we also need the file teststestopt.dll

From: br_forum-bounces@maillist.ads.net [mailto:br_forum-bounces@maillist.ads.net] On Behalf Of George Tisdale
Sent: Thursday, August 21, 2008 12:01 PM
To: Business Rules Forum
Subject: [BR_forum] Kudos to Dan and Gordon

I've been following the NWP theme and just tried the latest 4.18 with FNPRINTBOX and right justified numeric column.
I find that if I include a bar "|" or non-bar "[|]" around the data that FNPRINTBOX drops to a report that right justification works without having to use non-proportional fonts and without having to do the whole BOX thing. RIGHT LEFT and CENTYER all work!
See attached demo program (you'll have to rem out a few lines to make it work as well as have FNSNAP.dll
<<testcols.br>>

George L. Tisdale, CPA
Tisdale CPA
75 Junction Square Drive
Concord, MA 01742
(978) 369-5585
IRS Circular 230 Notice: "To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, we inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein."

This electronic message transmission contains information which is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination or distribution of this communication to other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by calling (978) 369-5585 or by electronic mail (gtisdale@tisdalecpa.com) Thank you.

no, just rem out everything before "START"

George L. Tisdale, CPA
Tisdale CPA
75 Junction Square Drive
Concord, MA 01742
(978) 369-5585

From: br_forum-bounces@maillist.ads.net [mailto:br_forum-bounces@maillist.ads.net] On Behalf Of John Bowman
Sent: 08/21/2008 12:11 PM
To: 'Business Rules Forum'
Subject: RE: [BR_forum] Kudos to Dan and Gordon

to try it we also need the file teststestopt.dll

From: br_forum-bounces@maillist.ads.net [mailto:br_forum-bounces@maillist.ads.net] On Behalf Of George Tisdale
Sent: Thursday, August 21, 2008 12:01 PM
Subject: [BR_forum] Kudos to Dan and Gordon

<<testcols.br>>

George L. Tisdale, CPA
Tisdale CPA
75 Junction Square Drive
Concord, MA 01742
(978) 369-5585

Susan Smith

Post by Susan Smith »

George,

I got your right alignment test program working. But can you right justify with proportional fonts when you need to specify EXACT positioning on the paper for the right edge?

I have a few forms (as you probably do) where the vertical columns must be at a precise position. In many cases this is because the client wanted me to EXACTLY replicate a pre-printed form that they were using. In another case this is because we ARE using pre-printed forms (and will continue to do so) so I don't have the luxury of determining my own column spacing.

How do I do that with NWP and proportional fonts? Right now in 4.17, I handle it with NON-proportional fonts, but that isn't a long term answer as the client wants the entire invoice body in the same (proportional) font.

Can't I tell BR to right-justify the numeric data exactly at 6.50" inches across the page horizontally, for instance? I didn't see that in your test program, but maybe I'm just missing a key piece here.

-- Susan

George Tisdale wrote:
Kudos to Dan and Gordon
<<testcols.br>> George L. Tisdale, CPA
gothnerd at gmail.com

can you do:
[Decipos(whereever)]
[align-right]
[decipos(the right side of your column]
[align-something else]

will that right align you within a field which starting and ending positions are set by decipos?

-john

From: br_forum-bounces@maillist.ads.net [mailto:br_forum-bounces@maillist.ads.net] On Behalf Of Susan Smith
Sent: Thursday, August 21, 2008 3:21 PM
Subject: Re: [BR_forum] Kudos to Dan and Gordon

George,

I got your right alignment test program working. But can you right justify with proportional fonts when you need to specify EXACT positioning on the paper for the right edge?

I have a few forms (as you probably do) where the vertical columns must be at a precise position. In many cases this is because the client wanted me to EXACTLY replicate a pre-printed form that they were using. In another case this is because we ARE using pre-printed forms (and will continue to do so) so I don't have the luxury of determining my own column spacing.

How do I do that with NWP and proportional fonts? Right now in 4.17, I handle it with NON-proportional fonts, but that isn't a long term answer as the client wants the entire invoice body in the same (proportional) font.

Can't I tell BR to right-justify the numeric data exactly at 6.50" inches across the page horizontally, for instance? I didn't see that in your test program, but maybe I'm just missing a key piece here.

-- Susan

George Tisdale wrote:

Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

You might have to do:
[Decipos(whereever)]
[align-right]
[|]3.50 [|]
[decipos(somewhere else)]
[align-something else]

In other words, you might have to use the invisible column separator [|] (which is CHR$(05) or HEX$(05) (the same character)), to tell BR where the column ends, so that it knows where to right justify up to.

Gabriel

2008/8/21 John Bowman <gothnerd@gmail.com (gothnerd@gmail.com)>
can you do:
[Decipos(whereever)]
[align-right]
[align-something else]

will that right align you within a field which starting and ending positions are set by decipos?

-john

From: br_forum-bounces@maillist.ads.net (br_forum-bounces@maillist.ads.net) [mailto:br_forum-bounces@maillist.ads.net (br_forum-bounces@maillist.ads.net)] On Behalf Of Susan Smith

George,

-- Susan

George Tisdale wrote:

Based on the way that FNPRINTBOX works, if you want to do this without FNPRINTBOX but using decipos then you need to put your "POST" on the page as the LEFT_HAND bound of your column and then use CNVRT$("PIC(---,---,--#.#)",number). Put it all on one line - NO CRLF between the items or it will NOT WORK.

I believe that BR works from your POST to the expected end of your string as though that end were put there with a fixed width font. The right_justify then right justifies to the end of that calculated position. The length of the fixed width field is based on the HMI that is in effect when you do this and I think this is either 10 or 12 CPI of a fixed width font. I have not tested and measured this so feel free to do this. If you want the vertical line to show use a BAR | as your post, if you do not want it to show use a bracketed bar [ | ] as your post.

01010 print #255: "[Decipos(231,1750)][align-right][|]"&cnvrt$("PIC($---,--#.##)",3.50)

Where [ALIGN-RIGHT] has been translated to Eright_justify

Note that you must put the minus sign in FRONT of the amount or the decimal will not align. The alignment is based on the STRING$ not on a number because a number will be of various lengths and so the calculation from the POST will change with each line.

George L. Tisdale, CPA
Tisdale CPA
75 Junction Square Drive
Concord, MA 01742
(978) 369-5585

From: br_forum-bounces@maillist.ads.net [mailto:br_forum-bounces@maillist.ads.net] On Behalf Of Gabriel Bakker
Sent: 08/21/2008 3:36 PM

You might have to do:
[Decipos(whereever)]
[align-right]
[|]3.50 [|]
[decipos(somewhere else)]
[align-something else]

In other words, you might have to use the invisible column separator [|] (which is CHR$(05) or HEX$(05) (the same character)), to tell BR where the column ends, so that it knows where to right justify up to.

Gabriel

2008/8/21 John Bowman <gothnerd@gmail.com (gothnerd@gmail.com)>
can you do:
[Decipos(whereever)]
[align-right]
[align-something else]

-john

From: br_forum-bounces@maillist.ads.net (br_forum-bounces@maillist.ads.net) [mailto:br_forum-bounces@maillist.ads.net (br_forum-bounces@maillist.ads.net)] On Behalf Of Susan Smith

George,

-- Susan

George Tisdale wrote:

rdgcss at attglobal.net

Post by rdgcss at attglobal.net »

Wait for the .Net/Com interface that Gordon is promising. Then get a report design/generate .NET or COM add-in & let it handle of that hard stuff.
You could even use Word or Word Perfect to do this stuff.

Rick Graham

From: br_forum-bounces@maillist.ads.net [mailto:br_forum-bounces@maillist.ads.net] On Behalf Of Susan Smith

George,

-- Susan

George Tisdale wrote:
<<testcols.br>>
George L. Tisdale, CPA

Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

From all this discussion, it sounds like its really easy to do right justify in NWP.

Gabriel

2008/8/21 Rickie Graham <rdgcss@attglobal.net (rdgcss@attglobal.net)>

Wait for the .Net/Com interface that Gordon is promising. Then get a report design/generate .NET or COM add-in & let it handle of that hard stuff.

Rick Graham

George,

-- Susan

George Tisdale wrote:

<<testcols.br>>
George L. Tisdale, CPA

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com
Version: 8.0.138 / Virus Database: 270.6.6/1625 - Release Date: 8/21/2008 6:04 AM

gothnerd at gmail.com

LOL

2008/8/22 Gabriel Bakker <gabriel.bakker@gmail.com (gabriel.bakker@gmail.com)>
From all this discussion, it sounds like its really easy to do right justify in NWP.

Gabriel

Rick Graham

George,

-- Susan

George Tisdale wrote:

<<testcols.br>>
George L. Tisdale, CPA

Version: 8.0.138 / Virus Database: 270.6.6/1625 - Release Date: 8/21/2008 6:04 AM

Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Sure its easy. Just:

[POSITION] or print up to the start of your columns, use the [Right_Justify] command, and put [|] or chr$(5) at the end of your lines.

I think the only thing that David Blankenship was missing is the [|]s.

Gabriel

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 3:27 PM, Gabriel Bakker <gabriel.bakker@gmail.com (gabriel.bakker@gmail.com)> wrote:

Gabriel

Rick Graham

George,

-- Susan

George Tisdale wrote:

<<testcols.br>>
George L. Tisdale, CPA

GomezL at collectionso...

Post by GomezL at collectionso... »

Don’t know the unit’s that BR uses, but it should be easy enough to use a ruler to measure.

|----+----!----+----!----+----!----+----!|

I use the ----+----! Because it’s easy to count 5/10/15/.. characters.

The Second Pipe will always be at exactly the same spot “40 Units” from the first pipe.
Right Justified text will be right up next (1 unit?) away from the pipe.

Now all that remains is to discover the units that BR uses, and build some translation tables.

Luis I. Gomez
Commercial Legal Software, Inc.
1-800-435-7257
www.CollectionSoftware.com

Sent: Friday, August 22, 2008 5:03 PM

It's not QUITE that easy - even with the [|]s. Positioning something to a specific place doesn't exactly place the text there. Try it. It tends to print further to the right, which is where the original idea of invisible characters possibly advancing the cursor came from. You have to use trial and error to get it precisely where you want it horizontally. This remains a bit of an issue for people who MUST right justify something EXACTLY at a given spot for using pre-printed forms for example. If you position at 6.5" across the page and then right justify, the text doesn't actually end at 6.5". It's CONSISTENT...just not 6.5". You have to adjust it some distance to the left and print at say 6.365" or something. It's not insurmountable, just not what you would expect to happen.

I'd PREFER to lay a ruler on my form and see that my balance due amount needs to right justify at 7.625". So in a perfect world, I'd use a right justify command and specify 7.625". But if you have to try it once, find out how far off it is, and then adjust your horizontally positioning to compensate, that's not the end of the world.

-- Susan

Gabriel Bakker wrote:

Sure its easy. Just:

[POSITION] or print up to the start of your columns, use the [Right_Justify] command, and put [|] or chr$(5) at the end of your lines.

Gabriel

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 3:27 PM, Gabriel Bakker <gabriel.bakker@gmail.com (gabriel.bakker@gmail.com)> wrote:

Gabriel

Rick Graham

George,

-- Susan

George Tisdale wrote:

<<testcols.br>>
George L. Tisdale, CPA

_______________________________________________BR_forum mailing listBR_forum@maillist.ads.nethttp://maillist.ads.net/mailman/listinfo/br_forum 
Susan Smith

Post by Susan Smith »

It's not QUITE that easy - even with the [|]s. Positioning something to a specific place doesn't exactly place the text there. Try it. It tends to print further to the right, which is where the original idea of invisible characters possibly advancing the cursor came from. You have to use trial and error to get it precisely where you want it horizontally. This remains a bit of an issue for people who MUST right justify something EXACTLY at a given spot for using pre-printed forms for example. If you position at 6.5" across the page and then right justify, the text doesn't actually end at 6.5". It's CONSISTENT...just not 6.5". You have to adjust it some distance to the left and print at say 6.365" or something. It's not insurmountable, just not what you would expect to happen.

I'd PREFER to lay a ruler on my form and see that my balance due amount needs to right justify at 7.625". So in a perfect world, I'd use a right justify command and specify 7.625". But if you have to try it once, find out how far off it is, and then adjust your horizontally positioning to compensate, that's not the end of the world.

-- Susan

Gabriel Bakker wrote:

Sure its easy. Just:

Gabriel

Gabriel

Rick Graham

George,

-- Susan

George Tisdale wrote:

<<testcols.br>>
George L. Tisdale, CPA

Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

BR uses the width of the characters for its unit.

So if you want to right justify the following four numbers:

Then you use positioning statements to put it Six Characters to the left of where you want to right justify. Then you print your numbers padded to six characters, and put the [|] and it should line up perfectly.

The idea behind Gordon's system was people should be able to use Non-Proportional printing techniques (such as lining your columns up on the screen) even if they have proportional fonts. Its a pretty neat system and as far as I know there are no other programming languages out there that allow you to print your proportional text as if it were non-proportional.

Gabriel

2008/8/22 Luis I. Gomez <GomezL@collectionsoftware.com (GomezL@collectionsoftware.com)>

Don't know the unit's that BR uses, but it should be easy enough to use a ruler to measure.

I use the ----+----! Because it's easy to count 5/10/15/.. characters.

The Second Pipe will always be at exactly the same spot "40 Units" from the first pipe.

Now all that remains is to discover the units that BR uses, and build some translation tables.

Luis I. Gomez
1-800-435-7257

-- Susan

Gabriel Bakker wrote:

Sure its easy. Just:

Gabriel

Gabriel

Rick Graham

George,

-- Susan

George Tisdale wrote:

<<testcols.br>>
George L. Tisdale, CPA

_______________________________________________BR_forum mailing listBR_forum@maillist.ads.net (BR_forum@maillist.ads.net)http://maillist.ads.net/mailman/listinfo/br_forum 

The answer is that each character is set to 1/10 of an inch so the end of the field is X*1/10 inches from the "POST".

However, since you need a chr$(5) or a pipe at the end of the field then the first inch is only 9 characters plus the chr$(5) or pipe.

The problem that this can create in a large report with large numbers that you are printing at say 20 CPI is that you will be limited on how many characters will fit in the field without pushing it to the right. The answer to this problem of course is that you use the DECIPOS parameter on another line over printing another field on the same print line, or you use FNPRINTBOX to position the POST over an existing field.

This does not at first make sense when you are used to the DOS printing model, but as David said we are not printing in DOS, this is Windows. If you want 12 digits in a 3/4 inch field at 20m characters per inch then set your POST 1.3 inches to the left of your field end, use chr$(27)right_justify (or [ALIGN_RIGHT]) and set your font to the equivalent of 20CPI. You will get exactly what you want.

Yes, Susan, you CAN use your ruler!

George

From: br_forum-bounces@maillist.ads.net [mailto:br_forum-bounces@maillist.ads.net] On Behalf Of Gabriel Bakker
Sent: Friday, August 22, 2008 5:27 PM

BR uses the width of the characters for its unit.

So if you want to right justify the following four numbers:

Then you use positioning statements to put it Six Characters to the left of where you want to right justify. Then you print your numbers padded to six characters, and put the [|] and it should line up perfectly.

The idea behind Gordon's system was people should be able to use Non-Proportional printing techniques (such as lining your columns up on the screen) even if they have proportional fonts. Its a pretty neat system and as far as I know there are no other programming languages out there that allow you to print your proportional text as if it were non-proportional.

Gabriel

2008/8/22 Luis I. Gomez <GomezL@collectionsoftware.com (GomezL@collectionsoftware.com)>

Don't know the unit's that BR uses, but it should be easy enough to use a ruler to measure.

I use the ----+----! Because it's easy to count 5/10/15/.. characters.

The Second Pipe will always be at exactly the same spot "40 Units" from the first pipe.

Luis I. Gomez
1-800-435-7257

-- Susan

Gabriel Bakker wrote:

Sure its easy. Just:

Gabriel

Gabriel

Rick Graham

George,

-- Susan

George Tisdale wrote:

<<testcols.br>>
George L. Tisdale, CPA

_______________________________________________BR_forum mailing listBR_forum@maillist.ads.net (BR_forum@maillist.ads.net)http://maillist.ads.net/mailman/listinfo/br_forum