[BR_forum] Kudos to Dan and Gordon

Discussion about printing issues and techniques.

Moderators: Susan Smith, admin, Gabriel

GomezL at msn.com

[BR_forum] Kudos to Dan and Gordon

Post by GomezL at msn.com »

I see the confusion, since you are just printing 1 item, you feel the cursor should be positioned to the 7.625” Mark.

|[E]right_justify1234567.90|

The above text is 12 character (Two Pipes + 10 digits). At 12CPI that would be an inch, at 10CPI a bit longer, and at 20CPI a bit shorter.

The NWP theory makes it very easy to write a report.

|[E]left_justifyPut Some Text Here |[E]right_justify1234567.90|[E]left_justifyPut Some More Text Here|

Your stream of text just lines up regardless of the font you pick. (Fixed or proportional).

Essentially, you need to measure how big your output field it. A ruler should work nicely there. Also, start with lines, they are easier to measure. Then you can remove them.

Once you know that your output field is say exactly 1”, then you can move the cursor to the 6.625” mark, and expect the text to line up at the 7.625” mark.

The pipes will print at the same location regardless of what text you print. As long as you keep the number of “spaces or characters” the same.

A lot of old reports used the | as a separator. Those are almost ready for proportional fonts. Just add a “BOX”, and some [E]right_justify commands, and you are set.

Luis

From: br_forum-bounces@maillist.ads.net [mailto:br_forum-bounces@maillist.ads.net] On Behalf Of Susan Smith
Sent: Friday, August 22, 2008 5:03 PM
To: Business Rules Forum
Subject: Re: [BR_forum] Kudos to Dan and Gordon

It's not QUITE that easy - even with the [|]s. Positioning something to a specific place doesn't exactly place the text there. Try it. It tends to print further to the right, which is where the original idea of invisible characters possibly advancing the cursor came from. You have to use trial and error to get it precisely where you want it horizontally. This remains a bit of an issue for people who MUST right justify something EXACTLY at a given spot for using pre-printed forms for example. If you position at 6.5" across the page and then right justify, the text doesn't actually end at 6.5". It's CONSISTENT...just not 6.5". You have to adjust it some distance to the left and print at say 6.365" or something. It's not insurmountable, just not what you would expect to happen.

I'd PREFER to lay a ruler on my form and see that my balance due amount needs to right justify at 7.625". So in a perfect world, I'd use a right justify command and specify 7.625". But if you have to try it once, find out how far off it is, and then adjust your horizontally positioning to compensate, that's not the end of the world.

-- Susan

Gabriel Bakker wrote:

Sure its easy. Just:

[POSITION] or print up to the start of your columns, use the [Right_Justify] command, and put [|] or chr$(5) at the end of your lines.

I think the only thing that David Blankenship was missing is the [|]s.

Gabriel

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 3:27 PM, Gabriel Bakker <gabriel.bakker@gmail.com (gabriel.bakker@gmail.com)> wrote:
From all this discussion, it sounds like its really easy to do right justify in NWP.

Gabriel

2008/8/21 Rickie Graham <rdgcss@attglobal.net (rdgcss@attglobal.net)>
Wait for the .Net/Com interface that Gordon is promising. Then get a report design/generate .NET or COM add-in & let it handle of that hard stuff.
You could even use Word or Word Perfect to do this stuff.

Rick Graham

From: br_forum-bounces@maillist.ads.net (br_forum-bounces@maillist.ads.net) [mailto:br_forum-bounces@maillist.ads.net (br_forum-bounces@maillist.ads.net)] On Behalf Of Susan Smith
Sent: Thursday, August 21, 2008 3:21 PM
To: Business Rules Forum
Subject: Re: [BR_forum] Kudos to Dan and Gordon

George,

I got your right alignment test program working. But can you right justify with proportional fonts when you need to specify EXACT positioning on the paper for the right edge?

I have a few forms (as you probably do) where the vertical columns must be at a precise position. In many cases this is because the client wanted me to EXACTLY replicate a pre-printed form that they were using. In another case this is because we ARE using pre-printed forms (and will continue to do so) so I don't have the luxury of determining my own column spacing.

How do I do that with NWP and proportional fonts? Right now in 4.17, I handle it with NON-proportional fonts, but that isn't a long term answer as the client wants the entire invoice body in the same (proportional) font.

Can't I tell BR to right-justify the numeric data exactly at 6.50" inches across the page horizontally, for instance? I didn't see that in your test program, but maybe I'm just missing a key piece here.

-- Susan

George Tisdale wrote:

I've been following the NWP theme and just tried the latest 4.18 with FNPRINTBOX and right justified numeric column.
I find that if I include a bar "|" or non-bar "[|]" around the data that FNPRINTBOX drops to a report that right justification works without having to use non-proportional fonts and without having to do the whole BOX thing. RIGHT LEFT and CENTYER all work!
Using this I can position my cursor and align my columns.
See attached demo program (you'll have to rem out a few lines to make it work as well as have FNSNAP.dll
<<testcols.br>>
George L. Tisdale, CPA

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com
Version: 8.0.138 / Virus Database: 270.6.6/1625 - Release Date: 8/21/2008 6:04 AM

_______________________________________________BR_forum mailing listBR_forum@maillist.ads.nethttp://maillist.ads.net/mailman/listinfo/br_forum 
Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)