EDIT ~ returns a 4203 error

General development discussion.

Moderators: Susan Smith, admin, Gabriel

John

EDIT ~ returns a 4203 error

Post by John »

I recently installed a new file server here in my home office - now (working on my old file server) when I do an EDIT it correctly opens up my third party editor and displays the created brs file. However when I return to BR and do an EDIT ~ to pull the brs file back in I get an error 4203... I haven't the foggiest idea why. everything else seems to work fine. Any ideas?

Ah since this is an OS Error 3 (thank you BR Wiki) I checked syserr$ and it says:
"The process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file."

I tried completely closing my third party editor to make sure it was not in anyway locking the file. It did not help.

I also waited a long time and tried again. That did not help.

I'm kinda new to this whole file server thing... Is there a setting I should look for? It's a really simple cheap home file server - not a whole computer, basically just a network storage device with a web page interface type control panel... pretty neat really.

-John
GomezL

Post by GomezL »

Error 4203 is "Path Not Found".

I imagine that SYSERR$ is not populated for error 4203.
John

Post by John »

according to the br wiki 4203 is an OS error 3 (also path not found and a few other rights related things) and also according to the wiki OS errors populate syserr and syserr$... if this is incorrect, i should probably correct it... but i believe it's accurate. the syserr$ i mentioned (above) seems to imply the same type of error as well.

just not sure how it applies to me. :P

-john
John

Post by John »

So this 4203 error i get when doing an EDIT ~ only occurs on my old file server, not on my other workstations. mapping a drive to the new server on my workstation (the old file server) does. there's really no rights issues. Is there a br cache file that I need to clear out or something?

-John
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

I'd also thought about using a NAS for a server... it seems like in Windows Filesharing Implementations, this is all you need.