Gordon

Exciting new Business Rules announcements!
(Outgoing messages only)

Moderators: Susan Smith, admin, Gabriel

Gabriel

Gordon

Post by Gabriel »

As many of you are aware, Gordon injured his hip several years ago, and he has been walking with various canes since then, as he wanted to avoid the risk of hip surgery until he had tried every alternative.

His hip was made worse by a bicycle accident he was in this past fall. The bicycle accident, as well as his many friends and family, finally convinced him to have that hip replacement surgery.

He had the surgery on Wednesday. Always a fast healer, and with generally very healthy habits, he is recovering quickly. He was awake ahead of schedule, and he was walking ahead of schedule and he was released from the hospital ahead of schedule.

He is now resting and recuperating at the home of a family friend, in Dallas, TX. I am happy to report that he is doing quite well for someone who just had a hip replacement. However, I would still ask for your prayers and/or well wishes for a speedy recovery.

Gabriel
gordon

Re: Gordon

Post by gordon »

I have always heard good things about hip replacement surgery. So I wasn't concerned about the surgery. I was concerned that I would never return to the highly active lifestyle I enjoyed before the hip injury.

I have seen now in retrospect that I should have put my leg in traction a few months when I injured it. Hindsight.

Now that I have a new hip my leg and pelvis has to catch up to the weight bearing ability of the ceramic and steel hip joint. The amazing thing is the near total lack of pain from the incision or the attachment of the equipment. Almost all of the pain relates to stretching muscles that have shortened over six years of walking with a slowly deteriorating hip. There are, however, some non-walking movements that are extremely weak but responding to physical therapy.

No more basketball, football, racquetball or track. But I can still cycle, play ping pong, and possibly ski and rollerblade.

Then there's always chess.