Record Layouts

Discussion about Business Rules! functions and library facilities.

Moderators: Susan Smith, admin, Gabriel

gordon

Record Layouts

Post by gordon »

Does anyone here have a utility program that creates filelay layouts from context records?

Filelay layouts are used by by FileIO and/ScreenIO, and Context data is used by ODBC.
Gabriel

Re: Record Layouts

Post by Gabriel »

yes .. i remember writing such a program for you. ill have to check to find it.
gordon

Post by gordon »

Ahh found it. It says it was authored by Chris. I'm going to add that function to the context manager.

While I'm at it .. what do you do to partially upgrade legacy programs (with ScreenIO) that don't run in GUI mode? Do you need to switch to GUI mode in order to utilize ScreenIO?
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Screenio will automatically turn gui on and then turn it back off when it returns to your calling program.

i believe there is some experimental code in there to attempt to redraw your non-gui screen but if it doesn't work then you may have to redraw your screen yourself.
gordon

Post by gordon »

Have you considered using an independent (Parent=NONE) window and not affecting the non-GUI window?

So if I wanted to convert some lookup sub-windows to ScreenIO, they would pop up and then go away.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

When using ScreenIO, its up to the programmer to decide if they want a Parent=NONE window. Sometimes, a PARENT=NONE window is appropriate for a given situation, and sometimes it isn't.

If the screen you're designing is to be a popup, you can make it a PARENT=NONE window by specifying PARENT=NONE in the ATTRIBUTES field in the Window Attributes part of the tool bar (in the upper left corner of the ScreenIO Designer).

However, in BR, GUI MODE is a setting that affects your entire BR session, and it still must be turned on in order to even make a PARENT=NONE window. So your non-gui window will still be erased when GUI is turned on and then back off.

Have you considered making BR itself redraw the non-gui screen at the moment that GUI MODE is turned back off? That seems like it might be the only way to fix this.

Gabriel