Windows 10

General development discussion.

Moderators: Susan Smith, admin, Gabriel

John

Windows 10

Post by John »

:?: So who else has installations on Windows 10 machines? I have a few - they are going quite well. :D Now I'm even developing on a Windows 10 machine.

-John
John Bowman
Susan Smith

Re: Windows 10

Post by Susan Smith »

This is really good to know, John. I know that some of my people will be upgrading to Windows 10, so it's good to know that BR has no issues with it that you have seen. Is there anything special that has to be done (version Window7), especially in the way of permissions to BR folders (or other folders) and such?

-- Susan
John

Post by John »

Well - I have already moved all of my temporary files to the windows temporary files folder (%temp%) and do not keep my data in my working folder either (I keep that over in %appdata%). I (almost always) install my programs into the Program Files folder which does not allow for temporary files to be written into it unless you run as an administrator. With these things in mind - NOPE - I haven't had to make any changes to make things work in the windows 10 world. I can even Pin my application to the taskbar, which is very convenient - It does use the ruler/dollar sign icon there instead of my icon, but that's not really a big deal.

-John
John Bowman
Susan Smith

Post by Susan Smith »

This is very interesting! I would love to talk more about it at the conference. I don't really have "installs" since I'm writing all custom code. But I use the original folder structure from the old days:
\BR
\BR\PROGRAM_FOLDER\
\BR\DATA_FOLDER

plus a lot of other things like ScreenIO, FocusMaster Utilities and things that are installed in other folders off of the BR folder. But it would be great to discuss better ways to arrange those things in more mainstream way while taking advantage of some Windows "principles". The first step would be to retrofit programs to LOOK for things in a location that is decided at install time and not hard-coded into every program. Great food for thought.

-- Susan
John

Post by John »

I'm very happy to discuss it at the conference! My greatest asset in retrofiting these sorts of things is that I store all my programs in source code and auto detect changes to them when i launch and compile them then. This allows me to search and replace all my source code in Notepad++ very easily. I'll show you how I do that at the conference.
John Bowman