client/server firewall rules

General development discussion.

Moderators: Susan Smith, admin, Gabriel

John

client/server firewall rules

Post by John »

So - rather than turning my firewall off (major security issues) I'd like to add a few rules to allow just BR Client/Server through the firewall. Does anyone know what I need to set on my server and my client to make this work properly? I am using windows 10 here, but my clients are running various versions of windows. Currently I am mostly concerned about the windows built-in firewall... I figure if I can figure that one out it'll work for me and most of my clients and serve as a model for all the other firewalls I'll need to adjust.

-John
John Bowman
mluchterhand

Re: client/server firewall rules

Post by mluchterhand »

In my experience I've never had to adjust anything on the client side.

If you do have trouble on the client side you may want to verify that the network you are connected to is marked Private. Sometimes you get strange behavior if Public is selected. The process to do this varies by Operating System but in Windows 10 it is Settings>Network & Internet>Ethernet>Click on the Network name (usually Local Area Connection if wired)>turn on the Make this PC discoverable

On the server you will definitely need to configure the firewall. Assuming you are using a standard configuration, you will need to open up port 8555. Again, this process will vary depending on which server OS you are running.

This page from the wiki might also be of some help: http://brwiki2.brulescorp.com/index.php ... ent_Server
Thanks - Matt Luchterhand
John

Post by John »

Thank you! I think I got it. I turned the firewall back on completely (with no new rules) on the client and added a new INBOUND rule to open port 8555 only when connected to private networks and only for the one program "%SystemRoot%\System32\brListener.exe". And now both firewalls are on with this much smaller exception. Much better.

Thanks for the help.

-John
Last edited by John on Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Bowman
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Yeah. I've never had to change any firewall settings client side for anything to do with Client Server, not locally, not over the web. I have the Client running on lots of different OSs and OS versions, and don't need to change firewall settings at all.

On the server (technically, on my router), I have port 8555 forwarded to the computer that runs the server. And thats only necessary for people to connect from outside the LAN via the Internet.

Gabriel