KOREAN WON

General development discussion.

Moderators: Susan Smith, admin, Gabriel

cdidan

KOREAN WON

Post by cdidan »

₩ - Is there a way that I can get this Korean Won symbol input to a file so that I can print it on invoices?
Gabriel

Re: KOREAN WON

Post by Gabriel »

First of all, are you trying to print it within the context of Korean sentences? OR is it more of a Logo Image that you want to print?

Second of all, you're using NWP, right? Which version of BR?

If its within the context of sentences, then make sure you have a Korean font installed, and then use the NWP "SetFont" command to change to the Korean Font before you print that character.

If its a logo you're trying to print, then save the logo in any sort of image file, (gif, jpg, bmp, png are supported at least, probably also tiff and others). Then use the NWP "Print Image" command to print the image wherever you want.

Please verify which direction you're going with this, and i'll give you more details about the specific commands. But NWP commands are all escape codes, very similar (and in many cases, the same) as HP commands. There are a few additional commands not supported by HP such as a simpler way to change fonts and a simpler way to print images.

These NWP commands are made even easier if you want to use printer.sys to add good substitution statements.

So, assuming you're using printer.sys, the command would be the following:

PRINT #255: "[PUSH][POSITION(2,5)][PICTURE(2,2,'koreanW.jpg')][POP]"

Or else if you want to use the korean W within a korean sentence then it might be something like this

PRINT #255: "[SETFONT(MyKoreanFont)]igeos-eun hangug-ui munjang-ida.[SETFONT(Times New Roman)]"

Gabriel
cdidan

Post by cdidan »

Gabriel I am using version 3.91f (pretty old)
€ I have no trouble using this Euro sign since the Alt + 128 pops up the symbol.
But the Korean Won Alt code of 8361 does not.
I have tried using Korean fonts but still no luck.
This is not that important. I was hoping there was an Alt code I was missing.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

In 3.91 you don't have access to NWP which will make this a little more difficult.

So in that case the answer depends on what kind of printer you're trying to use. Is it a Dot Matrix or an HP laser printer?

If its an HP compatible laser printer then you'll be looking for the PCL code to express the Korean Won symbol.

If its a Dot Matrix printer, you'll need to look at the documentation for that printer and see what language that printer speaks.

With NWP and modern versions of BR you don't have to worry what language the printer uses -- you just send standard NWP commands and windows tells the printer what to print. But with older versions of BR and other languages from the times, you have to use the printers language.

If you can tell me more about what printer you're printing on, I can try to find the reference documentation for that printer and point you towards more specific instructions.

Also, am I correct then in understanding that the Korean Won symbol is their currency symbol? (I'm guessing that from what you said about the Euro symbol).

Finally, regarding those ALT codes, what I remember from my DOS days is that there were 256 of them. After that they start over from the beginning. So pressing ALT-257 will print the same code as ALT-001. Unless something changed recently and those are unicode now, anything above 256 was 'wrapped around' back to a number below 256 and the value of that number was used. So ALT-8361 returns the same character for me as ALT-169.

When I just tried that ALT-8361 returns a modified form of the top left corner linedraw characters, exactly same as ALT-169. For me neither one returns the Korean Won symbol.

I'm not really sure you can do this with ALT characters, you'll most likely have to do something in the specific code of the printer. So tell me more details about what printers you're using and I can hopefully point you in the right direction.

Gabriel
John

Post by John »

numbers above 256 are Unicode. You probably won't have much luck printing a Unicode character. I'd suggest either finding a font that contains it as a character and switching in and out of that font to print it or printing it as an image (which won't give you as crisp a character possibly) Such old BR may limit your options somewhat. NWP might still work just fine though.
John Bowman
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Nope, NWP was added in 4.0 I believe, or possible 4.1. It was further improved in 4.2.

3.9 did not have NWP.

Gabriel