NAS drive as a mapped drive for BRules

General development discussion.

Moderators: Susan Smith, admin, Gabriel

PJKLUG

NAS drive as a mapped drive for BRules

Post by PJKLUG »

We had a WD NAS drive connected to a hub/router that we were running as a mapped drive for anyone connected to that hub/router. Both BR.exe's and data were on that mapped drive. It worked great. You could also use it as a "server" backup by changing your drive mappings to the NAS drive if the main server was down. Replaced that with WD's new "Home" drive that uses the internet rather than the CAT5 to share the drive data to connected users. Now BR shows a "OS error" for the BRSerial.dat file when I try to fire up BR. Recommendations for small <1 or 2 TB NAS drives in the less than $150 range that work with BR?

Pete - CTL
gordon

Re: NAS drive as a mapped drive for BRules

Post by gordon »

PJKLUG

Post by PJKLUG »

Thanks. That's where we bought the WD one. Hopefully they haven't burned the store down before we can get there to swap the WD for the Buffalo. Do you know for a fact that BRules! won't have issues with this or do we just try and hope?
Pete
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Your issue is the time delay in sharing your data over the internet (not to mention the security concerns).

BR is expecting a response from the OS in a certain amount of time, but the internet is being really slow to give that response. Even if you could get it running you'd probably find that running via a LAN share but over the internet is WAY too slow to be comfortable.

If you want your programs to run over the internet, then you're much better off running Client Server.

Because of the speed issues, I don't use an external drive or a NAS for my BR programs anyway. I always install them on the C drive of the server because its already spun up and always on. Then I use Client-Server to make it so I can run the programs over the internet or across the LAN. That gives me pretty fast performance.
gordon

Post by gordon »

Business Rules, like all programming languages that I know of, relies on OS routines for low level network support. Buffalo has been around for at least 10 years, so I would be very surprised to hear of any issues. If you do I will pursue it with Microsoft.

Keep in mind that BR is written in C++ and uses the standard library for file IO.

To answer your question, I have not tried running BR on a recent Buffalo drive.