running BR 3.91

General development discussion.

Moderators: Susan Smith, admin, Gabriel

Gabriel

running BR 3.91

Post by Gabriel »

Anyone got any tips for how to run BR 3.91 on a modern computer? Or how to determine what the index was for an old data file last run under 3.91?

3.91 doesn't run under DOSBox because it requires Win32. I think it ran under Windows 98, but I didn't see that as an option under windows 10 for its compatibility modes.

The index files are not compatible with modern BR and all need to be rebuilt, but since I can't open the files (error 0632, corrupted index file header), I don't know what to base the indexes off of. I found a program that appears to rebuild most of the indexes for the system but it doesn't do them all.

I know I've been through all this before somehow, when I first began supporting other legacy systems but I can't remember what trick I'm missing here.

Anyone got any ideas?
Gabriel

Re: running BR 3.91

Post by Gabriel »

Actually, I just found the compatibility mode for Windows 98. Its just not listed in the compatibility troubleshooter, but its there in the compatibility tab. Maybe that's not the problem.

I can get it to run but I get a blank splash screen.
splash.png
splash.png (5.96 KiB) Viewed 29759 times
GomezL

Post by GomezL »

My WAG:

Provide user full administrator rights.
Disable UAC

I remember in the compatibility settings one of the options is "Run as Administrator" use that too!

BR did a pretty good job of creating "Options" that make the most current release work much like BR 3.91, there are many reasons to use the current version of BR.
Susan Smith

Post by Susan Smith »

Gabriel,

Is it a BTREE index? You might check that out. I vaguely remember working with those in the old days.

http://brwiki2.brulescorp.com/index.php ... x_Facility

-- Susan
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

100% I want to update them to a current version of BR. I'm trying to convince them to let me do that. Right now they're running on a very old computer.

I've also been trying to get that working, but to do that I have to rebuild the indexes, and that's why I'm asking my question. My goal here is to get something running that can read their current index files, so that I can open the files and check what the index parameters are, so that I can rebuild the indexes in BR 4.3 and get them running in a way that I can support them a lot more.

Now that I think about it, I vaguely recall that there is a program that ADS used to provide that could open those old index files and determine what the index parameters are to rebuild them automatically.
GomezL wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:47 pm My WAG:

Provide user full administrator rights.
Disable UAC

I remember in the compatibility settings one of the options is "Run as Administrator" use that too!

BR did a pretty good job of creating "Options" that make the most current release work much like BR 3.91, there are many reasons to use the current version of BR.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Susan Smith wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:09 pm Gabriel,

Is it a BTREE index? You might check that out. I vaguely remember working with those in the old days.

http://brwiki2.brulescorp.com/index.php ... x_Facility

-- Susan
Susan,

By the way, I just learned about BASEYEAR dependent indexes so thats cool. It seems like that will come in handy sometime, espeically as I just did a y2021 job today.

Gabriel
GomezL

Post by GomezL »

I think you are remembering ISAM.

OPTION 5 is OFF - default to ISAM indexes.

As I remember, if you don't specify indexing the file in the new BR will convert to the "new Index Format."

Some people used to actually open an ISAM index as it was a "Special internal file" that contained simple index information.

You can set the NEW BR to default to ISAM (Only ever do that for compatibility purposes)

You can specify the index type when you create an index.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Ok. I got the old version running. That's a pretty big step forward.

I don't even want to say what I was doing wrong. I guess I just needed to wait for a minute to notice the obvious. I thought I had already corrected the drive statements but I hadn't. BR 3.91 runs fine in Windows 95 compatibility mode. It doesn't even need to be run as admin.

Now I should be able to run the programs and determine what fields their indexes need to be built on.