[BR_forum] no line numbers

More advanced topics discussed.

Moderators: Susan Smith, admin, Gabriel

Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

John,

I've already gotten rid of line numbers. And its free and available for everyone, and its an all BR solution, and it helps integrate with SVN, and it gives you Select Case statements, and #Define compiler directives, and much much more. (http://brwiki.ads.net/index.php?title=Lexi)

And I've gone to some lengths to make sure my No Line Numbers routine works specifically for CLS.

So if Luis and John Curry don't want to use their BR programs with Lexi (the program that manages line numbers for you), when it not only gets rid of line numbers, but it also gives you "SELECT CASE" and "#DEFINE" and many other useful features, what makes you think they would get rid of their line numbers when BR handles it internally?

Gabriel

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 2:15 PM, John Bowman <gothnerd@gmail.com (gothnerd@gmail.com)> wrote:

Oh – so alt+tab to go to the other window and then start typing in it would not work then.    not ready for prime time yet…  perhaps we could make a fkey value trigger when a window gained focus, then it’d work better – but having to use your mouse to actually click on something would not be viable.

I think we should focus on making the modal behavior ready for primetime, because the non-modal ones sound like they won’t be good for anything except fancy floating toolbars.

It’s so cool to see this becoming a reality.  I can’t wait until Gordon gets rid of line numbers like he announced at the conf in st. Louis a few years ago… that’ll be awesome!

-john

From: br_forum-bounces@ads.net (br_forum-bounces@ads.net) [mailto:br_forum-bounces@ads.net (br_forum-bounces@ads.net)] On Behalf Of Gabriel Bakker
Sent: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 3:06 PM

To: Business Rules Forum
Subject: Re: [BR_forum] BR 4.2 - ready for primetime?

Your input for the child window would detect any clicks on the parent window and then pass control (like GOTO) back to the parent window's logic. Then the Parent Windows logic would also have to detect any clicks on the child window and pass control back to the Child Windows Logic.

You could not have your users type into both at the same time without detecting the click and switching between them.

Thats what I mean by "Its complicated".

Gabriel

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 1:32 PM, John Bowman <gothnerd@gmail.com (gothnerd@gmail.com)> wrote:
How could this work with only one thread?  I mean – your input logic for the parent window (GUI Console) has to detect all clicks on the non-modal child and deal with them?  what if you wanted to allow them to type into both?  Would that be theoretically possible?

From: br_forum-bounces@ads.net (br_forum-bounces@ads.net) [mailto:br_forum-bounces@ads.net (br_forum-bounces@ads.net)] On Behalf Of Susan Smith
Sent: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 1:07 PM

I have situations where a user is entering information on a parent window and they need reference information to pull up while they are typing. That would be a perfect application for a non-modal window since they can move it out of the way and yet still see it while they go back to entering data on the underlying window. Then when you close the parent (or rather, the underlying window), you can then close the modal window too (with two different close statements since the non-modal window is technically not tied to that parent window at all...you know, being "Parent=none" and all...)

For those who don't know what modal means...
A modal window requires that the user interact with it FIRST before going back to the underlying window. Dialog boxes or warning windows are perhaps the best examples of modal windows because they usually pop up and require that you answer or cancel them before you can get back to the underlying window. Windows that can be open simultaneously while allowing the user to freely go back and forth between them are called non-modal or modeless. I knew that my college education would benefit me someday...

And I hope I got it right!

-- Susan

John Bowman wrote:

Shouldn’t parent=none windows be modal???  I can’t imagine a situation in which you wouldn’t want them to be modal.

And modal windows – when their parent gets focus the focus is instantly shifted to the modal child, there’s no waiting for an action, it just shifts the focus on focus.

Is there a situation where you would want a parent=none window to be non-modal?  How you you process that in BR?  Am I missing something or does parent=none non-modal windows just not make sense?

-john

John

Post by John »

You’re Lexi is an awesome solution! AutoIt is also an awesome solution. Unfortunately neither one of them is half as good as something natively supported by the language.

MyEditBR chokes horribly on code without line numbers. If BR! would natively support linenumberless code than MyEditBR’s hand would be forced and he’d have to support it. But as it is now, he won’t.

Lexi works wonderfully with Notepad++. I use it at home when I make fun programs…

Recognizing the difference I see how much time I waste fixing line number problems at work. Line Numbers are lame. Their only value is for our support department. So they can track bugs.

I’m still waiting for the native line number free programming which Gordon promised a few years ago. I remember the standing ovation I gave him for that announcement. He said he had a plan and that it was going to be easy. So awesome, I can’t wait for it. And when he delivers, MEBR and everything else will follow suit. And a lot of the errors I make when writing code from scratch will magically disappear. Because I won’t have duplicate line number or line numbers out of order ever – and those are two of my largest PITAs.

-john

From: br_forum-bounces@ads.net [mailto:br_forum-bounces@ads.net] On Behalf Of Gabriel Bakker
Sent: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 3:24 PM
Subject: [BR_forum] no line numbers

John,

I've already gotten rid of line numbers. And its free and available for everyone, and its an all BR solution, and it helps integrate with SVN, and it gives you Select Case statements, and #Define compiler directives, and much much more. (http://brwiki.ads.net/index.php?title=Lexi)

And I've gone to some lengths to make sure my No Line Numbers routine works specifically for CLS.

So if Luis and John Curry don't want to use their BR programs with Lexi (the program that manages line numbers for you), when it not only gets rid of line numbers, but it also gives you "SELECT CASE" and "#DEFINE" and many other useful features, what makes you think they would get rid of their line numbers when BR handles it internally?

Gabriel

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 2:15 PM, John Bowman <gothnerd@gmail.com (gothnerd@gmail.com)> wrote:
Oh – so alt+tab to go to the other window and then start typing in it would not work then. not ready for prime time yet… perhaps we could make a fkey value trigger when a window gained focus, then it’d work better – but having to use your mouse to actually click on something would not be viable.

I think we should focus on making the modal behavior ready for primetime, because the non-modal ones sound like they won’t be good for anything except fancy floating toolbars.

It’s so cool to see this becoming a reality. I can’t wait until Gordon gets rid of line numbers like he announced at the conf in st. Louis a few years ago… that’ll be awesome!

-john

From: br_forum-bounces@ads.net (br_forum-bounces@ads.net) [mailto:br_forum-bounces@ads.net (br_forum-bounces@ads.net)] On Behalf Of Gabriel Bakker
Sent: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 3:06 PM

Your input for the child window would detect any clicks on the parent window and then pass control (like GOTO) back to the parent window's logic. Then the Parent Windows logic would also have to detect any clicks on the child window and pass control back to the Child Windows Logic.

You could not have your users type into both at the same time without detecting the click and switching between them.

Thats what I mean by "Its complicated".

Gabriel

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 1:32 PM, John Bowman <gothnerd@gmail.com (gothnerd@gmail.com)> wrote:
How could this work with only one thread? I mean – your input logic for the parent window (GUI Console) has to detect all clicks on the non-modal child and deal with them? what if you wanted to allow them to type into both? Would that be theoretically possible?

From: br_forum-bounces@ads.net (br_forum-bounces@ads.net) [mailto:br_forum-bounces@ads.net (br_forum-bounces@ads.net)] On Behalf Of Susan Smith
Sent: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 1:07 PM

I have situations where a user is entering information on a parent window and they need reference information to pull up while they are typing. That would be a perfect application for a non-modal window since they can move it out of the way and yet still see it while they go back to entering data on the underlying window. Then when you close the parent (or rather, the underlying window), you can then close the modal window too (with two different close statements since the non-modal window is technically not tied to that parent window at all...you know, being "Parent=none" and all...)

For those who don't know what modal means...
A modal window requires that the user interact with it FIRST before going back to the underlying window. Dialog boxes or warning windows are perhaps the best examples of modal windows because they usually pop up and require that you answer or cancel them before you can get back to the underlying window. Windows that can be open simultaneously while allowing the user to freely go back and forth between them are called non-modal or modeless. I knew that my college education would benefit me someday...

And I hope I got it right!

-- Susan

John Bowman wrote:

Shouldn’t parent=none windows be modal??? I can’t imagine a situation in which you wouldn’t want them to be modal.

And modal windows – when their parent gets focus the focus is instantly shifted to the modal child, there’s no waiting for an action, it just shifts the focus on focus.

Is there a situation where you would want a parent=none window to be non-modal? How you you process that in BR? Am I missing something or does parent=none non-modal windows just not make sense?

-john

John Bowman