Debug Connect

More advanced topics discussed.

Moderators: Susan Smith, admin, Gabriel

John

Debug Connect

Post by John »

Can someone explain what happens during "Debug Connect"

It's failing on my machine to connect with MyEditBR and I have the same setup as everyone else execpt my isntallation directory of MyEditBR and I changed the BRSupport\WBConfig.sys's logging statement to reflect such.

How does Debug Connect know what to try to connect to?

-john
John

Post by John »

See also: http://brwiki.ads.net/index.php?title=Debug_connect

Debug Connect is a very poorly documented function.
rmills

Re: Debug Connect

Post by rmills »

There is a bug in BR v4.2e where the debugger (ie Debug Connect) is broken. There is a fix in the works, Dan and Gordon, have a couple of people testing it. Please be patient.

As for how it works, it tries to establish a TCP connection on a specific port where it starts listening for commands from the debugger.
Once a connection is established the BR console is disabled and made non-visible.

Properly formatted commands from the debugger are treated exactly as if they were typed in on the standard BR console window.

Does that help?

Ryan.

John wrote:Can someone explain what happens during "Debug Connect"

It's failing on my machine to connect with MyEditBR and I have the same setup as everyone else execpt my isntallation directory of MyEditBR and I changed the BRSupport\WBConfig.sys's logging statement to reflect such.

How does Debug Connect know what to try to connect to?

-john
John

Post by John »

The debug connect machine works on the other computers in the office that have MEBR registry settings and a standard installation directory for MEBR. However it fails only on my machine, which I've removed MEBR registry entries and use a protable installation of MEBR which resides in a different directory than the other copies.

I think we can rule out the 4.2e bug because it's working for everyone else in my office using the latest 4.2 BR (released today).

When in MEBR if I click the Bug button than shouldn't I see BRSupport.exe in task manager? I don't. Maybe that has something to do with the issue.

-John

P.S. I've added some of your text from your last posting to the debug connect page on the BRWiki.

P.S.S. Also please don't repost the text you are replying to on the forum. It's directly above it anyway and it clutters the forum quite a lot.
rmills

Post by rmills »

BRSupport has nothing to do with debugging. BRSupport is there to help with detecting advanced HWEs and other features.

The debugger only uses the active BR connection from your running version of BR.

Even running MEBR in the portable configuration shouldn't make any difference as long as the MEBR Debugger is turned on in the editor options it should still work.

Can you turn on the logging for the debugger and send me the resulting log file? It's under the Help|Program Logging menu option. (This feature requires a valid support license, I believe)

Ryan
John

Post by John »

I don't see how to turn it off and on and off the Debugger in the Editor Options. I see "Auto Start Debugger" but I don't want to use it because it makes MEBR launch very slowly. Instead I just click the BugBuster button, then go to my BR window and get attn and type debug connect. Essentially it locks up my BR session.

I added a check next to Enabled BR Debugger Logging (level 10)

Although it doesn't ask where I want the log file to be generated and poking around in the MEBR folders/subfolders I don't see any log files created by it. (i did see some brsupport.log files but i deleted those and restarted the process and now there are still none)

Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Maybe I should just back burner this issue for a while, I don't use the debugger anyway, Luis just wanted me to have it ready for him to use at my workstation just-in-case.

-john
rmills

Post by rmills »

Please re-read my last reply.

Look under HELP menu item and find the Program Logging menu item. You can then click the BR Debugger option and provide a file name.
Turn on/Activate the MyEdit Debugger how ever you want.
Try the Debug Connect command.

I don't understand what you mean by turn it "off and on and off"

The Enabled BR Debugger Logging doesn't come into effect until you have a valid debugger connection from BR.
John

Post by John »

oh geeze I totally missed that last paragraph - duh - thank you for your patience.

Also when I exit MEBR I get a messagebox that says
Failed to create a crash dump
A stack overflow occurred.

I've attached the log file to this message
Attachments
MyEditBR.txt
The log file you ask for
(55.86 KiB) Downloaded 511 times
rmills

Post by rmills »

ok. So from the log file I can tell you haven't actually updated your BR.exe file.

Your still running a buggy version of BR. That may also explain the BRSupport.exe if your having trouble with the BRSupport icon not turning yellow.

If Luis is confident in the version of BR.exe he downloaded and tested this morning then get him to direct you the the new test version. You are either running BR v4.2D or v4.2E.

If you don't quite follow what I mean then talk to Luis otherwise the next public version of BR.exe released from ADS should work just fine.

My apologies to everyone else who might be following this thread. I know it's gone on a little and is making reference to things that may not make sense to people outside of a small circle.
John

Post by John »

ah ha! I was using a version of BR prior to 4.20e+ as my BR which I was running my programs in. That's was the problem. The BRSupport.exe was 4.20e+, but my program was just 4.20e. That solved the problem. Thank you so much!

-John