Client-Server Error Receiving Data

General development discussion.

Moderators: Susan Smith, admin, Gabriel

mluchterhand

Client-Server Error Receiving Data

Post by mluchterhand »

I recently moved a routine I regularly use to print/email/fax invoices into a library in client-server. When I run the program from any PC at our main office it runs fine. Remote users connected via a 11MB P2P also can also run the program fine. However, users at our remote office connected via a T1 (1.5MB) line receive the following errors:

Version 4.16:
Fri Aug 5 15:00:09 2011
Fatal error called with message: Client-Server error receiving data.
Fri Aug 5 15:00:24 2011
Client-Server error sending data.

Version 4.18:
Fri Aug 5 15:01:08 2011
Fatal error called with message: Client-Server error 104 receiving data.
Fri Aug 5 15:01:23 2011
Client-Server error 11, sending data.

This occurs on both Windows 7 and Windows XP clients at that 1.5MB location leading me to believe it is a keepalive issue. Is there a way to extend the keepalive in client-server? Or does anyone have tips to reduce the delay? Reducing the size of my variables in the library seemed to have no effect. Or do you think the problem is some other issue. Thanks in advance for your help!
Thanks - Matt Luchterhand
mluchterhand

Post by mluchterhand »

The email (sendEmail), print (lp), and fax (vsifax) commands all run on the server. The program ran fine at all locations before I put those commands into the library. Loading the library as needed did not resolve the problem either.
Thanks - Matt Luchterhand
GomezL

Post by GomezL »

I use a VPN provided by www.logmein.com

It is called "Hamachi".

Using the VPN, I can map drives, and of course connect over TCP/IP.

I find that Hamachi takes care of occasional "Network Hicups", and keeps the connection alive with client server.
gordon

Post by gordon »

Any weak connection can cause BR to lose the CS connection. That is why we did CS reconnect in 4.3.

I run on a VPN that auto reconnects but in 4.2 it loses the connection while in 4.3 it recovers nicely. I can't tell you how much that improved my comfort level when I quit having to restart my session at random times.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

As I understand it, they increased the CS keepalive time significantly in 4.2 and in later versions of 4.1. Gordon or someone can probably confirm this.

Another option is to rewrite your code so that it calls the external applications with the -C flag, which will cause BR to launch the external application then continue processing.

When I use external applications under CS I usually launch the applications using the -C flag, then I have a loop in my BR code that waits for the application to finish.. That way CS keeps running.. But my external applications create an output file when they're done, and my loop checks for the existance of that output file.

Another advantage of doing it this way is I can have a progress bar that lets the user know the application is not locked up while the external application finishes processing.

Gabriel