New Server Advice

General development discussion.

Moderators: Susan Smith, admin, Gabriel

Gabriel

New Server Advice

Post by Gabriel »

I have a client (end user) who is looking to replace his ancient Windows NT computer and upgrade to a newer PC. His primary concern is just that the Windows NT machine is old, and more likely to eventually fail. Its not like they have any performance problems running BR.

He's only running BR on his server and right now its all running over Windows File Shares, so technically he could probably run his system using nothing more then a NAT (Network Attached Storage) for his server. But I'd like to eventually get him running under Client Server and set up a web interface for his clients to use to look up simple information about their accounts.

Thing is, I can see no reason why he shouldn't just buy something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6883108659

It should have plenty of processing power to run BR Client Server and Wamp and a simple web site.

The only thing I would change about it is to give it two hard drives so I can setup RAID 1 Mirroring on it.

When I look at servers, just buying the OS costs $750. But I don't see any reason to spend a bunch of money when all the extra features of a Business OS usually just get in the way of running BR and Wamp.

So here's my question: Is there any reason to buy an expensive server when you're just running BR and a couple other things on it?

Gabriel
dmeenen

Server Advice

Post by dmeenen »

I would not go with a Celeron processor for a Server. Celeron is code word for a "crippled" real processor. If you have more than 2 users, this server is going to be really slow.
Upgrade to a "real" Intel processor for a few more dollars and save your self the aggrevation.
BLarry1T

Testing

Post by BLarry1T »

Just seeing if the forum is up
gtisdale

Post by gtisdale »

Yup, it is.
ltietz

Test

Post by ltietz »

Just another test