[BR_forum] NWP and multiple columns

Discussion about printing issues and techniques.

Moderators: Susan Smith, admin, Gabriel

Susan Smith

Post by Susan Smith »

Hi all,

Is it still true that NWP can't print multiple columns? I'd like to change a legal document to NWP that has 3 "columns" of legal fine print at the bottom of the form. The client wants it to stay in that format. This document is currently created with a "mail merge" into an RTF file and then printed to a dedicated printer via Atlantis.

-- Susan
George Tisdale

Post by George Tisdale »

NWP can create and align multiple numeric or text columns, but cannot wrap multiple columns (or even one for that matter). Why not just keep it as an RTF document and print using an RTF reader like Atlantis, Open Office or Word? To print in NWP each line of each column would be a separate print statement with its own vertical and horizontal start position. Not a problem. Where you might run into a problem is in the body of the document where the information inserted could change a line length. In RTF you can automatically wrap the text and justify the margins. So far this cannot be done in NWP.

It is SOOOOOO easy to create an RTF document directly in BR. You can have multiple columns different fonts and sizes horizontal separators, headers and footers, and if you use Open Office or Word rather than Atlantis you can have cells and tables, with or without borders.

If you like, send me the form and I’ll send you back a program that creates/prints it.

George L. Tisdale, CPA
Tisdale CPA
75 Junction Square Drive
Concord, MA 01742
(978) 369-5585
IRS Circular 230 Notice: "To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, we inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein."
This electronic message transmission contains information which is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination or distribution of this communication to other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by calling (978) 369-5585 or by electronic mail (gtisdale@tisdalecpa.com) Thank you.

From: br_forum-bounces@ads.net [mailto:br_forum-bounces@ads.net] On Behalf Of Susan Smith
Sent: Monday, May 11, 2009 11:23 PM
To: BR Forum
Subject: [BR_forum] NWP and multiple columns

Hi all,

Is it still true that NWP can't print multiple columns? I'd like to change a legal document to NWP that has 3 "columns" of legal fine print at the bottom of the form. The client wants it to stay in that format. This document is currently created with a "mail merge" into an RTF file and then printed to a dedicated printer via Atlantis.

-- Susan
Susan Smith

Post by Susan Smith »

Hi George,

I'm already using RTF and Atlantis to do this document. I was just hoping to have a more "organic" method inside of BR. And since I want to migrate (finally) to NWP, I considered printing everything that way. I can see that it's still appropriate to pick the right tool for the job and for this job, RTF is the right tool. I'll stick with what I'm doing then. Thanks.

By the way, I chose Atlantis for this project over Word or Open Office because it has a command line version thatI can call from BR which will print the document without allowing the user to edit or view it. That's what I wanted because this document is actually a series of 4 documents, one of which is a check. I definitely did not want the user to alter a check before it prints! The author of Atlantis created a special exe for me that is completely invisible to the user so that NOTHING shows on the screen at all when you call it to print the document. The document is never viewed prior to printing. In fact, the user doesn't know that their print job has been handed off to Atlantis at all! You can't do that with Word or Open Office. Plus those two take too long to load.

The downside of this scheme is that when we install (or reinstall) my software on a new workstation, we have to remember to also install Atlantis and get it properly configured with the replacement exe and a few option switches. I don't have an install routine for this software package (I know...maybe someday). So it's one more thing to remember, which is not my strong point as you know ;(

-- Susan

George Tisdale wrote:
<![endif]--> <![endif]-->
NWP can create and align multiple numeric or text columns, but cannot wrap multiple columns (or even one for that matter). Why not just keep it as an RTF document and print using an RTF reader like Atlantis, Open Office or Word? To print in NWP each line of each column would be a separate print statement with its own vertical and horizontal start position. Not a problem. Where you might run into a problem is in the body of the document where the information inserted could change a line length. In RTF you can automatically wrap the text and justify the margins. So far this cannot be done in NWP.

It is SOOOOOO easy to create an RTF document directly in BR. You can have multiple columns different fonts and sizes horizontal separators, headers and footers, and if you use Open Office or Word rather than Atlantis you can have cells and tables, with or without borders.

If you like, send me the form and I’ll send you back a program that creates/prints it.

George L. Tisdale, CPA

From: br_forum-bounces@ads.net (br_forum-bounces@ads.net) [mailto:br_forum-bounces@ads.net (br_forum-bounces@ads.net)] On Behalf Of Susan Smith

Hi all,

-- Susan
John

Post by John »

I recall that in atlantis there was a command line option to only show the print dialog and not the program, I’m surprised you had to get a custom copy of atlantis to accomplish this.

As for Open Office – I sure someone else is probably already doing it – there are some very fast versions of open office (i.e. http://lifehacker.com/5087262/softmaker-office-is-a-fast-and-lightweight-office-suite) and the best thing about it is – is probably that you can access the code and customize yourself, of course so many others have already done this that you generally don’t have to do anything other than find their work.

From: br_forum-bounces@ads.net [mailto:br_forum-bounces@ads.net] On Behalf Of Susan Smith
Sent: Tuesday, May 12, 2009 9:35 AM
To: Business Rules Forum
Subject: Re: [BR_forum] NWP and multiple columns

Hi George,

I'm already using RTF and Atlantis to do this document. I was just hoping to have a more "organic" method inside of BR. And since I want to migrate (finally) to NWP, I considered printing everything that way. I can see that it's still appropriate to pick the right tool for the job and for this job, RTF is the right tool. I'll stick with what I'm doing then. Thanks.

By the way, I chose Atlantis for this project over Word or Open Office because it has a command line version thatI can call from BR which will print the document without allowing the user to edit or view it. That's what I wanted because this document is actually a series of 4 documents, one of which is a check. I definitely did not want the user to alter a check before it prints! The author of Atlantis created a special exe for me that is completely invisible to the user so that NOTHING shows on the screen at all when you call it to print the document. The document is never viewed prior to printing. In fact, the user doesn't know that their print job has been handed off to Atlantis at all! You can't do that with Word or Open Office. Plus those two take too long to load.

The downside of this scheme is that when we install (or reinstall) my software on a new workstation, we have to remember to also install Atlantis and get it properly configured with the replacement exe and a few option switches. I don't have an install routine for this software package (I know...maybe someday). So it's one more thing to remember, which is not my strong point as you know ;(

-- Susan

George Tisdale wrote:

George L. Tisdale, CPA

From: br_forum-bounces@ads.net (br_forum-bounces@ads.net) [mailto:br_forum-bounces@ads.net (br_forum-bounces@ads.net)] On Behalf Of Susan Smith

Hi all,

-- Susan
John Bowman
Susan Smith

Post by Susan Smith »

The customization that the author sent allowed me to bypass the print dialog and specify the printer on the command line too. That's the real change. I have one printer directed to a specific printer drawer on a dedicated printer. Since there are preprinted checks in it, it would be disastrous if the user chose the wrong printer, making the preprinted checks (which are numbered) NOT match the data being written to the file. I couldn't do that with the garden variety command line option of Atlantis.

-- Susan

John Bowman wrote:
<![endif]--> <![endif]-->
I recall that in atlantis there was a command line option to only show the print dialog and not the program, I’m surprised you had to get a custom copy of atlantis to accomplish this.

As for Open Office – I sure someone else is probably already doing it – there are some very fast versions of open office (i.e. http://lifehacker.com/5087262/softmaker-office-is-a-fast-and-lightweight-office-suite) and the best thing about it is – is probably that you can access the code and customize yourself, of course so many others have already done this that you generally don’t have to do anything other than find their work.

Hi George,

-- Susan

George Tisdale wrote:

George L. Tisdale, CPA

Hi all,

-- Susan
John

Post by John »

Oh I see – very nice.

Sent: Tuesday, May 12, 2009 9:53 AM

The customization that the author sent allowed me to bypass the print dialog and specify the printer on the command line too. That's the real change. I have one printer directed to a specific printer drawer on a dedicated printer. Since there are preprinted checks in it, it would be disastrous if the user chose the wrong printer, making the preprinted checks (which are numbered) NOT match the data being written to the file. I couldn't do that with the garden variety command line option of Atlantis.

-- Susan

John Bowman wrote:

Hi George,

-- Susan

George Tisdale wrote:

George L. Tisdale, CPA

Hi all,

-- Susan
John Bowman