[BR_forum] load file -1

General development discussion.

Moderators: Susan Smith, admin, Gabriel

John

[BR_forum] load file -1

Post by John »

Speaking with an old school WB developer I learned that once upon a time a syntax for load similar to

Load file.wb -1

Or maybe like

Load(-1) file.wb

Would load not the last version saved, but the one which was most recently replaced.

Can anyone shed any light on this? It’s not documented and I couldn’t get it to work, but he was positive he’d used it in the past. It may be that over the years support was dropped for this, but I’m pretty sure that this information is contained in .wb/.br files.

Does anyone recall? It’d be like basic VCS built right into BR! if it still worked and that’d be nifty/neat-o.

-John
John Bowman
gordon

[BR_forum] load file -1

Post by gordon »

I don't remember such a thing.
And I'm a pretty old BR timer.
gordon

On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 7:52 AM, John Bowman <gothnerd@gmail.com (gothnerd@gmail.com)> wrote:

Speaking with an old school WB developer I learned that once upon a time a syntax for load similar to

Load file.wb -1

Or maybe like

Load(-1) file.wb

Would load not the last version saved, but the one which was most recently replaced.

Can anyone shed any light on this?  It’s not documented and I couldn’t get it to work, but he was positive he’d used it in the past.  It may be that over the years support was dropped for this, but I’m pretty sure that this information is contained in .wb/.br files.

Does anyone recall?  It’d be like basic VCS built right into BR! if it still worked and that’d be nifty/neat-o.

-John

Gabriel

[BR_forum] load file -1

Post by Gabriel »

Perhaps there was a way to make BR automatically create .BAK files of old versions whenever it replaces something.

On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 9:29 AM, John Bowman <gothnerd@gmail.com (gothnerd@gmail.com)> wrote:

Pharris (my dad) said he’d used it several times in the past, but didn’t remember the exact syntax.  Doesn’t the .wb/.br file contain information about previous saves, the same information that gets removed when you save/load source and replace?

-john

From: br_forum-bounces@ads.net (br_forum-bounces@ads.net) [mailto:br_forum-bounces@ads.net (br_forum-bounces@ads.net)] On Behalf Of Gordon Dye
Sent: Friday, May 01, 2009 10:19 AM
To: Business Rules Forum
Subject: Re: [BR_forum] load file -1

gordon

On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 7:52 AM, John Bowman <gothnerd@gmail.com (gothnerd@gmail.com)> wrote:

Load file.wb -1

Or maybe like

Load(-1) file.wb

Can anyone shed any light on this?  It’s not documented and I couldn’t get it to work, but he was positive he’d used it in the past.  It may be that over the years support was dropped for this, but I’m pretty sure that this information is contained in .wb/.br files.

Does anyone recall?  It’d be like basic VCS built right into BR! if it still worked and that’d be nifty/neat-o.

-John

John

[BR_forum] load file -1

Post by John »

Maybe that’s what he was thinking of. He’s been retired for about a decade so it’s possible his memory on the subject is a little fuzzy.

(do not publish this)

-john

From: br_forum-bounces@ads.net [mailto:br_forum-bounces@ads.net] On Behalf Of Gabriel Bakker
Sent: Friday, May 01, 2009 1:30 PM

Perhaps there was a way to make BR automatically create .BAK files of old versions whenever it replaces something.
On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 9:29 AM, John Bowman <gothnerd@gmail.com (gothnerd@gmail.com)> wrote:
Pharris (my dad) said he’d used it several times in the past, but didn’t remember the exact syntax. Doesn’t the .wb/.br file contain information about previous saves, the same information that gets removed when you save/load source and replace?

-john

From: br_forum-bounces@ads.net (br_forum-bounces@ads.net) [mailto:br_forum-bounces@ads.net (br_forum-bounces@ads.net)] On Behalf Of Gordon Dye

gordon

Load file.wb -1

Or maybe like

Load(-1) file.wb

Can anyone shed any light on this? It’s not documented and I couldn’t get it to work, but he was positive he’d used it in the past. It may be that over the years support was dropped for this, but I’m pretty sure that this information is contained in .wb/.br files.

Does anyone recall? It’d be like basic VCS built right into BR! if it still worked and that’d be nifty/neat-o.

-John

John Bowman
Gabriel

[BR_forum] load file -1

Post by Gabriel »

John,

Susan tells me that BR files always make a .BAK file when you save over them. I don't see it happening here as much so perhaps its a configurable option. But I recommend you look for the .BAK file and try to find a way to open it.

Gabriel

On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 12:40 PM, John Bowman <gothnerd@gmail.com (gothnerd@gmail.com)> wrote:

Maybe that’s what he was thinking of.  He’s been retired for about a decade so it’s possible his memory on the subject is a little fuzzy.

(do not publish this)

-john

From: br_forum-bounces@ads.net (br_forum-bounces@ads.net) [mailto:br_forum-bounces@ads.net (br_forum-bounces@ads.net)] On Behalf Of Gabriel Bakker

Pharris (my dad) said he’d used it several times in the past, but didn’t remember the exact syntax.  Doesn’t the .wb/.br file contain information about previous saves, the same information that gets removed when you save/load source and replace?

-john

gordon

Load file.wb -1

Or maybe like

Load(-1) file.wb

-John

John

[BR_forum] load file -1

Post by John »

Yes that is configurable via an option – I really was more interested in the how to access the old versions of the program stored in the .br/.wb file itself, no worries, just a curiosity. By default .bak files are made, it is supressable via an option (see also option (config)).

-john

From: br_forum-bounces@ads.net [mailto:br_forum-bounces@ads.net] On Behalf Of Gabriel Bakker
Sent: Friday, May 01, 2009 3:43 PM

John,

Susan tells me that BR files always make a .BAK file when you save over them. I don't see it happening here as much so perhaps its a configurable option. But I recommend you look for the .BAK file and try to find a way to open it.

Gabriel

On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 12:40 PM, John Bowman <gothnerd@gmail.com (gothnerd@gmail.com)> wrote:
Maybe that’s what he was thinking of. He’s been retired for about a decade so it’s possible his memory on the subject is a little fuzzy.

(do not publish this)

-john

From: br_forum-bounces@ads.net (br_forum-bounces@ads.net) [mailto:br_forum-bounces@ads.net (br_forum-bounces@ads.net)] On Behalf Of Gabriel Bakker

Pharris (my dad) said he’d used it several times in the past, but didn’t remember the exact syntax. Doesn’t the .wb/.br file contain information about previous saves, the same information that gets removed when you save/load source and replace?

-john

gordon

Load file.wb -1

Or maybe like

Load(-1) file.wb

-John

John Bowman