[BR_forum] file extenstion for source code with out line num

General development discussion.

Moderators: Susan Smith, admin, Gabriel

John

Post by John »

i need to maintain BR! source code that does not include line numbers.  I don't want to use .brs because that identifies the file as source code with line numbers...   are you using a different file extension for this already?  if so which one?  if not what do you think would be the best one to use?

.brl - business rules! with lexi enabled?
.brsnl - business rules! source no linenumbers

or something completely different?

what are your thoughts on this?

-john
John Bowman
Kevin Klappstein

Post by Kevin Klappstein »

While we still use line numbers in all of our code, source or otherwise,
we use a .src extension to keep track of official source files for use
with our version control system. This is so we know exactly what we are
saving into our version control as opposed to whatever the last editor
source was.

Kevin Klappstein
Western Canadian Software
kevin@wcs.ab.ca

John Bowman wrote:
i need to maintain BR! source code that does not include line
numbers. I don't want to use .brs because that identifies the file as
source code with line numbers... are you using a different file
extension for this already? if so which one? if not what do you
think would be the best one to use?

-john
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Susan Smith

Post by Susan Smith »

I must be misunderstanding. I thought that when you use Lexi, you still store your BR programs WITH line numbers (as either .BR compiled programs or .BRS source files - your choice). And only when you're working on it in MyEdit do you strip out the line numbers by using the Lexi tools (and then you put them back when you save your code). If that's correct, then the code is STILL stored as .brs files (or .br if you choose to compile it) on disk so I'm not sure why you'd need another file extension or why you'd save the source without line numbers.

Have I completely missed this? (I'm using Lexi myself, but I'm still new to it)

-- Susan

John Bowman wrote:
i need to maintain BR! source code that does not include line numbers. I don't want to use .brs because that identifies the file as source code with line numbers... are you using a different file extension for this already? if so which one? if not what do you think would be the best one to use?

-john
John

Post by John »

lexi is a tool that both strips and adds line numbers.  i need to intend to maintain my source code without line numbers.  This is necessary for my projects source code management.  I can't have changing line numbers all the time because I want to allow my source code management software to merge changes from multiple programmers into the same code.  line numbers are irrelivent.  This is for a new project - I'm gonna try to do things a little differently and see how it works out.  I'm making my theme editor open source and hosting it online at  http://sharesource.org/project/brtheme/ .

-john

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 6:50 PM, Susan Smith <susan@creativelyspeaking.net (susan@creativelyspeaking.net)> wrote:
I must be misunderstanding. I thought that when you use Lexi, you still store your BR programs WITH line numbers (as either .BR compiled programs or .BRS source files - your choice). And only when you're working on it in MyEdit do you strip out the line numbers by using the Lexi tools (and then you put them back when you save your code). If that's correct, then the code is STILL stored as .brs files (or .br if you choose to compile it) on disk so I'm not sure why you'd need another file extension or why you'd save the source without line numbers.

-- Susan

John Bowman wrote:
i need to maintain BR! source code that does not include line numbers.  I don't want to use .brs because that identifies the file as source code with line numbers...   are you using a different file extension for this already?  if so which one?  if not what do you think would be the best one to use?

-john

John Bowman
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

You can store your files as .br or .brs with line numbers, or as .brs without line numbers. The choice is entirely up to you. Lexi simply provides an easy way to strip and add the line numbers, and it includes options for "Save this file as a .BR file" or "Compile and Test this program in BR, Adding Line Numbers if Necessary".

Personally I keep my official source code in .BRS files with no line numbers. These are the files that I load when I want to make changes.

But every time I save my program in a .BRS file, I run the "Save this as a .BR file" tool and so my .BR file is always up to date and in synch with my .BRS file. This way I have the same file in both BRS and BR format at all times. If I run my software suite, the .BR file is what runs. If I make a change I change it in MyEdit with the Line Number Free .BRS file.

I've found that its not a problem to use the .BRS extension for Business Rules Source files either With or Without line numbers. Because Lexi adds the line numbers for you, and the only time you care is when you're looking at it in a text editor like MyEdit (regular BR files of course always have line numbers in them), I can easily add or remove line numbers on a moments notice when i'm looking at a BR program.

Gabriel

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 6:15 PM, John Bowman <gothnerd@gmail.com (gothnerd@gmail.com)> wrote:
lexi is a tool that both strips and adds line numbers.  i need to intend to maintain my source code without line numbers.  This is necessary for my projects source code management.  I can't have changing line numbers all the time because I want to allow my source code management software to merge changes from multiple programmers into the same code.  line numbers are irrelivent.  This is for a new project - I'm gonna try to do things a little differently and see how it works out.  I'm making my theme editor open source and hosting it online at  http://sharesource.org/project/brtheme/ .

-john

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 6:50 PM, Susan Smith <susan@creativelyspeaking.net (susan@creativelyspeaking.net)> wrote:

-- Susan

John Bowman wrote:

-john

John

Post by John »

Gabriel, I thought it might be more convient to have a diff. extenstion than .brs for line number free files.  Are you saying that it's so easy to auto-detect and that it doesn't make enough difference to justify straing from .BRS?

-john

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 7:31 PM, Gabriel Bakker <gabriel.bakker@gmail.com (gabriel.bakker@gmail.com)> wrote:
You can store your files as .br or .brs with line numbers, or as .brs without line numbers. The choice is entirely up to you. Lexi simply provides an easy way to strip and add the line numbers, and it includes options for "Save this file as a .BR file" or "Compile and Test this program in BR, Adding Line Numbers if Necessary".

Personally I keep my official source code in .BRS files with no line numbers. These are the files that I load when I want to make changes.

But every time I save my program in a .BRS file, I run the "Save this as a .BR file" tool and so my .BR file is always up to date and in synch with my .BRS file. This way I have the same file in both BRS and BR format at all times. If I run my software suite, the .BR file is what runs. If I make a change I change it in MyEdit with the Line Number Free .BRS file.

I've found that its not a problem to use the .BRS extension for Business Rules Source files either With or Without line numbers. Because Lexi adds the line numbers for you, and the only time you care is when you're looking at it in a text editor like MyEdit (regular BR files of course always have line numbers in them), I can easily add or remove line numbers on a moments notice when i'm looking at a BR program.

Gabriel

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 6:15 PM, John Bowman <gothnerd@gmail.com (gothnerd@gmail.com)> wrote:

-john

-- Susan

John Bowman wrote:

John Bowman
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

I've never had a problem using .BRS for both. But you can change your copy of Lexi to work with .BRL files if you want. Lexi is open source. If it saves you any particular trouble, let me know, and I'll incorporate it into the official Lexi.

Gabriel

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 6:39 PM, John Bowman <gothnerd@gmail.com (gothnerd@gmail.com)> wrote:
Gabriel, I thought it might be more convient to have a diff. extenstion than .brs for line number free files.  Are you saying that it's so easy to auto-detect and that it doesn't make enough difference to justify straing from .BRS?

-john

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 7:31 PM, Gabriel Bakker <gabriel.bakker@gmail.com (gabriel.bakker@gmail.com)> wrote:

Gabriel

-john