[BR_forum] NWP Printing

Discussion about printing issues and techniques.

Moderators: Susan Smith, admin, Gabriel

david at masterstouch.net

[BR_forum] NWP Printing

Post by david at masterstouch.net »

I have been working to convert my applications to 4.17. To meet a specific requirement (emailed statements to be demonstrated at the Fall conference), I need to print a report with a column of decimal aligned numbers (Arial font). I have not gotten this to work. I have tried right justified text from cnvrt$ etc to no avail.

If anyone has resolved this issue, please post.

Secondly, print preview allows you to print a single page or the entire document. It should also provide the means to print a range of pages (Pages 35-60 of 400).

I have tried the latest 4.18 version without success.

The release indicates support for Eright_justify but there are no examples of how to implement this either. Again, if you have a solution, please post it.

David Blankenship

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)
Gabriel

[BR_forum] NWP Printing

Post by Gabriel »

If the release notes say there is support for Eright_justify, what they probably mean is that you can print CHR$(13) & "right_justify" and everything you print after that statement until the next justify statement will be right justified with an algorithm that lines up the decimal points.

I'm not sure it will work, and I'm only going off the text in your email. I apologise in advance if you've already tried it this way.

Gabriel

2008/8/18 <david@masterstouch.net (david@masterstouch.net)>
I have been working to convert my applications to 4.17. To meet a specific requirement (emailed statements to be demonstrated at the Fall conference), I need to print a report with a column of decimal aligned numbers (Arial font). I have not gotten this to work. I have tried right justified text from cnvrt$ etc to no avail.

Secondly, print preview allows you to print a single page or the entire document. It should also provide the means to print a range of pages (Pages 35-60 of 400).

The release indicates support for Eright_justify but there are no examples of how to implement this either. Again, if you have a solution, please post it.

David Blankenship

gothnerd at gmail.com

[BR_forum] NWP Printing

Post by gothnerd at gmail.com »

I wrestled with right justify, but i was unable to acomplish what I wanted to do. I got unpredictable results, but I was also attempting to right-align within a given area (like a small field) and not right-align on the whole page.

-john

From: br_forum-bounces@maillist.ads.net [mailto:br_forum-bounces@maillist.ads.net] On Behalf Of Gabriel Bakker
Sent: Monday, August 18, 2008 11:26 PM
To: Business Rules Forum
Subject: Re: [BR_forum] NWP Printing

If the release notes say there is support for Eright_justify, what they probably mean is that you can print CHR$(13) & "right_justify" and everything you print after that statement until the next justify statement will be right justified with an algorithm that lines up the decimal points.

I'm not sure it will work, and I'm only going off the text in your email. I apologise in advance if you've already tried it this way.

Gabriel

2008/8/18 <david@masterstouch.net (david@masterstouch.net)>

David Blankenship

GTISDALE at tisdalecpa...

[BR_forum] NWP Printing

Post by GTISDALE at tisdalecpa... »

Code: Select all

00010 OPEN #10: "name=PREVIEW:/SELECT,eol=none",DISPLAY, OUTPUT 
00020 EXECUTE "PROC *:vol002tt"
00030 LIBRARY ENV$("PD")&"vol002fnsnap.dll": FNPRINTBOX,FNDRAWBOX
00040 LET V=0 : LET H=0: LET BV=10.0 : LET BH=8.00 : LET WEIGHT=0.01 : LET SHADE=0
00050 LET FNDRAWBOX(10,V,H,BV,BH,WEIGHT,SHADE)
00060 PRINT #10: CRLF$
00070 PRINT #10: "[BOX][SETFONT(ARIAL)]"
00080 FOR A=1 TO 20
00090 PRINT #10,USING "Form c 50,c 8,cr 12": "This is the way we wash our clothes","ABCD",CNVRT$("pic(---,--#.00)",A*100)&CRLF$
00100 NEXT A
00110 FOR A=1 TO 20
00120 PRINT #10: CHR$(27)&"left_justify"&RPAD$("This is the way we wash our clothes "&RPT$("X",A),50)&"| ABC |"&CHR$(27)&"right_justify"&CNVRT$("pic(---,--#.##)",A*100)&CRLF$
00130 NEXT A

The above will demonstrate the difference between straight printing in NWP (4.18) using proportional fonts and using boxes with proportional fonts. Note that the boxes are set by the length of the data printed to them and so padding that data will allow the boxes to align. When the data exceeds the box length then the box expands.

I do not know how to achieve this box treatment without the boxes showing. That would be a requirement for most reports, invoices statements etc. Perhaps someone else can state that . The only reason that FNSNAP is in the above example is to draw a box around the outside of the example that is separate from the boxes in the table.

George L. Tisdale, CPA
Tisdale CPA
75 Junction Square Drive
Concord, MA 01742
(978) 369-5585
IRS Circular 230 Notice: "To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, we inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein."

This electronic message transmission contains information which is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination or distribution of this communication to other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by calling (978) 369-5585 or by electronic mail (gtisdale@tisdalecpa.com) Thank you.
From: br_forum-bounces@maillist.ads.net [mailto:br_forum-bounces@maillist.ads.net] On Behalf Of david@masterstouch.net
Sent: 08/18/2008 10:46 PM
To: br_forum@maillist.ads.net
Subject: [BR_forum] NWP Printing

David Blankenship
Gabriel

[BR_forum] NWP Printing

Post by Gabriel »

You can draw boxes without words by turning boxmode on and printing spaces, just like you said.

PRINT #255: "[BOX]| |[/BOX]"

And it will print an empty box.

If you want the box to be more rows tall you just need to say:

PRINT #255: "[BOXTOP]| |"
PRINT #255: "[BOXVERTICALS]| |"
PRINT #255: "[BOXBOTTOMS]| |[/BOX]"

And it will print an empty box which is 3 rows tall.

If you want to use the boxing commands without actually printing boxes you can say:

PRINT #255: "[BOXVERTICALS][|] Print anything you want [|][/BOX].

Remember that each of these commands is listed in my email using the printer.sys substitutions. You can also accomplish the same thing without using printer.sys by just giving the NWP commands themselves.

[BOX] = Chr$(13) & "begin_box"
[/BOX] = Chr$(13) & "end_box"
[BOXTOP] = Chr$(13) & "begin_boxtop"
[BOXBOTTOM] = Chr$(13) & "begin_boxbottom"
[BOXVERTICALS] = Chr$(13) & "begin_boxverticals"
= hex$(05)

Also notice the pipe symbols in the above example code ("|"). These pipe symbols tell BR where to make the Vertical line parts of the box.

You can also make an invisible column separator by using . This is useful when you want some of the box features like right justify, but you don't want any boxes to appear.

If you use the [BOXVERTICALS] command and you don't specify any "|" pipe symbol box sides, then BR will use all the box features without printing any boxes.

Think of it like turning Box mode on but turning all the display attributes of Box mode off (tops, bottoms, and no sides if you don't print |s.

You can use the Eright justify command when you are in box mode. It will right justify your text in the boxes you are printing, and it should line up the decimal points if you are printing numbers. At least I'm pretty sure it will if they each have the same amount of significant digits, but it may even line up the decimal points no matter how many significant digits your numbers have.

You can download the latest copy of printer.sys (the one used at the Spring 08 conference) here:

ftp://dsg.ftpaccess.cc/Sage/printer.sys/printer.sys
ftp://dsg.ftpaccess.cc/Sage/printer.sys/printer.sys.doc

Look in printer.sys.doc at the section on Page 8 titled "Boxing".

This version of printer.sys hasn't changed since probably 2006 sometime so if you have an older copy, I don't think it will be any different from this one.

Boxing has been in printer.sys since the beginning.

Gabriel

2008/8/19 George Tisdale <GTISDALE@tisdalecpa.com (GTISDALE@tisdalecpa.com)>
00040 LET V=0 : LET H=0: LET BV=10.0 : LET BH=8.00 : LET WEIGHT=0.01 : LET SHADE=0
00080 FOR A=1 TO 20
00090 PRINT #10,USING "Form c 50,c 8,cr 12": "This is the way we wash our clothes","ABCD",CNVRT$("pic(---,--#.00)",A*100)&CRLF$
00100 NEXT A
00110 FOR A=1 TO 20
00120 PRINT #10: CHR$(27)&"left_justify"&RPAD$("This is the way we wash our clothes "&RPT$("X",A),50)&"| ABC |"&CHR$(27)&"right_justify"&CNVRT$("pic(---,--#.##)",A*100)&CRLF$
00130 NEXT A

The above will demonstrate the difference between straight printing in NWP (4.18) using proportional fonts and using boxes with proportional fonts. Note that the boxes are set by the length of the data printed to them and so padding that data will allow the boxes to align. When the data exceeds the box length then the box expands.

I do not know how to achieve this box treatment without the boxes showing. That would be a requirement for most reports, invoices statements etc. Perhaps someone else can state that . The only reason that FNSNAP is in the above example is to draw a box around the outside of the example that is separate from the boxes in the table.

George L. Tisdale, CPA
Tisdale CPA
75 Junction Square Drive
Concord, MA 01742
(978) 369-5585
IRS Circular 230 Notice: "To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, we inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein."

This electronic message transmission contains information which is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination or distribution of this communication to other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by calling (978) 369-5585 or by electronic mail (gtisdale@tisdalecpa.com (gtisdale@tisdalecpa.com)) Thank you.

From: br_forum-bounces@maillist.ads.net (br_forum-bounces@maillist.ads.net) [mailto:br_forum-bounces@maillist.ads.net (br_forum-bounces@maillist.ads.net)] On Behalf Of david@masterstouch.net (david@masterstouch.net)
To: br_forum@maillist.ads.net (br_forum@maillist.ads.net)

David Blankenship

[BR_forum] NWP Printing

Decimals do not align.

You need to right justify the field and make sure the number of decimal places in the string (not number) is consistent.

Thank you for the [BOXVETICALS] without the [BOX] command. That and the [|] (bracket bar bracket) removes the visible boxes.

00090 LET LEFT$=CHR$(27)&"left_justify" !:
LET RIGHT$=CHR$(27)&"right_justify"
00100 OPEN #10: "name=PREVIEW:/SELECT,eol=none",DISPLAY, OUTPUT
00110 EXECUTE "PROC *:vol002tt"
00120 LIBRARY ENV$("PD")&"vol002fnsnap.dll": FNPRINTBOX,FNDRAWBOX

00130 LET V=0 : LET H=0: LET BV=10.0 : LET BH=8.00 : LET WEIGHT=0.01 : LET SHADE=0
00140 LET FNDRAWBOX(10,V,H,BV,BH,WEIGHT,SHADE)
00150 PRINT #10: CRLF$

00160 PRINT #10: "[BOXVERTICALS][SETFONT(ARIAL)]"

00170 FOR A=1 TO 20
00180 PRINT #10,USING 'Form c 65,"[|]",c 8,"[|]",c 30,c 2': LEFT$&"This is the way we wash our clothes","ABCD",RIGHT$&CNVRT$("pic(---,--#.##)",A*100),CRLF$
00190 NEXT A

00200 FOR A=1 TO 20
00210 PRINT #10: CHR$(27)&"left_justify"&RPAD$("This is the way we wash our clothes "&RPT$("X",A),50)&"[|] ABC [|]"&CHR$(27)&"right_justify"&CNVRT$("pic(---,--#.##)",A*100)&CRLF$
00220 NEXT A

This now works in two different ways .

Thanks Gabriel.

George L. Tisdale, CPA
Tisdale CPA
75 Junction Square Drive
Concord, MA 01742
(978) 369-5585

This electronic message transmission contains information which is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination or distribution of this communication to other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by calling (978) 369-5585 or by electronic mail (gtisdale@tisdalecpa.com) Thank you.
From: br_forum-bounces@maillist.ads.net [mailto:br_forum-bounces@maillist.ads.net] On Behalf Of Gabriel Bakker
Sent: 08/19/2008 1:18 PM

You can draw boxes without words by turning boxmode on and printing spaces, just like you said.

If you want to use the boxing commands without actually printing boxes you can say:

Remember that each of these commands is listed in my email using the printer.sys substitutions. You can also accomplish the same thing without using printer.sys by just giving the NWP commands themselves.

= hex$(05)

Also notice the pipe symbols in the above example code ("|"). These pipe symbols tell BR where to make the Vertical line parts of the box.

You can also make an invisible column separator by using . This is useful when you want some of the box features like right justify, but you don't want any boxes to appear.

If you use the [BOXVERTICALS] command and you don't specify any "|" pipe symbol box sides, then BR will use all the box features without printing any boxes.

Think of it like turning Box mode on but turning all the display attributes of Box mode off (tops, bottoms, and no sides if you don't print |s.

You can use the Eright justify command when you are in box mode. It will right justify your text in the boxes you are printing, and it should line up the decimal points if you are printing numbers. At least I'm pretty sure it will if they each have the same amount of significant digits, but it may even line up the decimal points no matter how many significant digits your numbers have.

You can download the latest copy of printer.sys (the one used at the Spring 08 conference) here:

This version of printer.sys hasn't changed since probably 2006 sometime so if you have an older copy, I don't think it will be any different from this one.

Gabriel

00080 FOR A=1 TO 20
00100 NEXT A
00110 FOR A=1 TO 20
00130 NEXT A

George L. Tisdale, CPA
Tisdale CPA
75 Junction Square Drive
Concord, MA 01742
(978) 369-5585

This electronic message transmission contains information which is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination or distribution of this communication to other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by calling (978) 369-5585 or by electronic mail (gtisdale@tisdalecpa.com (gtisdale@tisdalecpa.com)) Thank you.

From: br_forum-bounces@maillist.ads.net (br_forum-bounces@maillist.ads.net) [mailto:br_forum-bounces@maillist.ads.net (br_forum-bounces@maillist.ads.net)] On Behalf Of david@masterstouch.net (david@masterstouch.net)

David Blankenship

steve.koger at m-a-c-s...

[BR_forum] NWP Printing

Post by steve.koger at m-a-c-s... »

David
Don’t know that I have answer for you. Just can share what we did.

We tried to get that to work and failed so eventually I decided it was easier to just use a fixed font. I located a True-Type font that worked on Both platforms and have to make sure its installed on any machines using our software.

I have attached the font, and included a screenshot of what our reports look like.

Steve

From: br_forum-bounces@maillist.ads.net [mailto:br_forum-bounces@maillist.ads.net] On Behalf Of david@masterstouch.net
Sent: Monday, August 18, 2008 9:46 PM
To: br_forum@maillist.ads.net

David Blankenship

[BR_forum] NWP Printing

I was pretty sure you sent me something after the email below but I must have inadvertently deleted it. This is the first chance I have had to work on this program since Monday night late. If you did sent one after this one (below), could you re-send it?

Thanks.

David

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, August 19, 2008 02:58 PM
To: 'Business Rules Forum'
Subject: RE: [BR_forum] NWP Printing

Decimals do not align.

You need to right justify the field and make sure the number of decimal places in the string (not number) is consistent.

Thank you for the [BOXVETICALS] without the [BOX] command. That and the [|] (bracket bar bracket) removes the visible boxes.

00130 LET V=0 : LET H=0: LET BV=10.0 : LET BH=8.00 : LET WEIGHT=0.01 : LET SHADE=0

00170 FOR A=1 TO 20
00180 PRINT #10,USING 'Form c 65,"[|]",c 8,"[|]",c 30,c 2': LEFT$&"This is the way we wash our clothes","ABCD",RIGHT$&CNVRT$("pic(---,--#.##)",A*100),CRLF$
00190 NEXT A

00200 FOR A=1 TO 20
00210 PRINT #10: CHR$(27)&"left_justify"&RPAD$("This is the way we wash our clothes "&RPT$("X",A),50)&"[|] ABC [|]"&CHR$(27)&"right_justify"&CNVRT$("pic(---,--#.##)",A*100)&CRLF$
00220 NEXT A

Thanks Gabriel.

George L. Tisdale, CPA
Tisdale CPA
75 Junction Square Drive
Concord, MA 01742
(978) 369-5585

= hex$(05)

Gabriel

00080 FOR A=1 TO 20
00100 NEXT A
00110 FOR A=1 TO 20
00130 NEXT A

George L. Tisdale, CPA
Tisdale CPA
75 Junction Square Drive
Concord, MA 01742
(978) 369-5585

[BR_forum] NWP Printing

No, this is the last send and demonstrates the use of column alignment in NWP.

The program below uses to for next loops to print stuff to an NWP document.

The first one does so using a normal BR FORM statement, the second one is a bunch of text strung together with [|] separating the strings. Similar results, however in the second one the "X"s eventually exceed the field length and start pushing the column to the right - not what you want. So the first option is preferable using the form statement. You will need to play with the C values in the form statement to get your amounts in the right places. But it will work nicely.

George

Sent: Wednesday, August 20, 2008 9:29 PM

I was pretty sure you sent me something after the email below but I must have inadvertently deleted it. This is the first chance I have had to work on this program since Monday night late. If you did sent one after this one (below), could you re-send it?

Thanks.

David

Decimals do not align.

00170 FOR A=1 TO 20
00190 NEXT A

00200 FOR A=1 TO 20
00220 NEXT A

Thanks Gabriel.

George L. Tisdale, CPA
Tisdale CPA
75 Junction Square Drive
Concord, MA 01742
(978) 369-5585

= hex$(05)

Gabriel

00080 FOR A=1 TO 20
00100 NEXT A
00110 FOR A=1 TO 20
00130 NEXT A

George L. Tisdale, CPA
Tisdale CPA
75 Junction Square Drive
Concord, MA 01742
(978) 369-5585

[BR_forum] NWP Printing

No, It aught to work but...

Your example had no absolute location for alignment. The "box" method is fine if you don't care where the text prints and you let Gordon do it. Try drawing some lines and position the text at a specific point. I hope this is just some more of "Gordon has no idea of what he is doing here" and he can and will fix it. When you send the printer an escape sequence (such as right justify) the cursor should not be advanced by the length of the command string! That is the way the real world works but not 4.18! The codes for left and right justify advance the cursor (different amounts and without apparent consistency)

When you position the cursor to print text, that is where the text should be printed but for the right and left justify to work, it must be immediately follow by the text to be impacted. The cursor has been advanced and the text (while right aligned) is to the right of where it should be. The result is you must "guess" at some point to the left of where the actual text should print, send the escape sequence and the text such that it hits in the right spot. This is very much a trial and error.

It is my hope that this can be resolved. Essentially any escape sequence (other than a position command) should execute without advancing the cursor, something like "[PUSH] escape seq [POP]". By the way this does not work even if you are willing to go to the trouble because the text must follow the command.

I get so frustrated trying to do "real" things with BR that is not ready for prime time (the above only works in 4.18!) When these "features" are added, they seem to be added as a band-aid instead of a planned implementation. It makes me think that the people writing the code have never tried to produce a true proportional font output - in any language!

I may try to write Gordon but my frustration is sure to come shining through.

David
Sent: Wednesday, August 20, 2008 10:07 PM

The first one does so using a normal BR FORM statement, the second one is a bunch of text strung together with [|] separating the strings. Similar results, however in the second one the "X"s eventually exceed the field length and start pushing the column to the right - not what you want. So the first option is preferable using the form statement. You will need to play with the C values in the form statement to get your amounts in the right places. But it will work nicely.

George

Thanks.

David

Decimals do not align.

00170 FOR A=1 TO 20
00190 NEXT A

00200 FOR A=1 TO 20
00220 NEXT A

Thanks Gabriel.

George L. Tisdale, CPA
Tisdale CPA
75 Junction Square Drive
Concord, MA 01742
(978) 369-5585

= hex$(05)

Gabriel

rdgcss at attglobal.net

[BR_forum] NWP Printing

Post by rdgcss at attglobal.net »

As far as I tell the cursor has always advanced when embedding escape sequences or printer substitution into the print stream. An easy way to prove this is to open the printer with a short recl= and insert a bunch of printer substitution commands, you will get a line wrap (BR inserts a CRLF). As far as I can tell, this is because the printer substation doesn’t occur until the printer stream leaves the print buffer, just before it is sent to the actual printer (Spooler).

Rick Graham

Sent: Thursday, August 21, 2008 12:02 AM

Your example had no absolute location for alignment. The "box" method is fine if you don't care where the text prints and you let Gordon do it. Try drawing some lines and position the text at a specific point. I hope this is just some more of "Gordon has no idea of what he is doing here" and he can and will fix it. When you send the printer an escape sequence (such as right justify) the cursor should not be advanced by the length of the command string! That is the way the real world works but not 4.18! The codes for left and right justify advance the cursor (different amounts and without apparent consistency)

When you position the cursor to print text, that is where the text should be printed but for the right and left justify to work, it must be immediately follow by the text to be impacted. The cursor has been advanced and the text (while right aligned) is to the right of where it should be. The result is you must "guess" at some point to the left of where the actual text should print, send the escape sequence and the text such that it hits in the right spot. This is very much a trial and error.

It is my hope that this can be resolved. Essentially any escape sequence (other than a position command) should execute without advancing the cursor, something like "[PUSH] escape seq [POP]". By the way this does not work even if you are willing to go to the trouble because the text must follow the command.

I get so frustrated trying to do "real" things with BR that is not ready for prime time (the above only works in 4.18!) When these "features" are added, they seem to be added as a band-aid instead of a planned implementation. It makes me think that the people writing the code have never tried to produce a true proportional font output - in any language!

David

George

Thanks.

David

Decimals do not align.

00170 FOR A=1 TO 20
00190 NEXT A

00200 FOR A=1 TO 20
00220 NEXT A

Thanks Gabriel.

George L. Tisdale, CPA
Tisdale CPA
75 Junction Square Drive
Concord, MA 01742
(978) 369-5585

= hex$(05)

Gabriel

00080 FOR A=1 TO 20
00100 NEXT A
00110 FOR A=1 TO 20
00130 NEXT A

George L. Tisdale, CPA
Tisdale CPA
75 Junction Square Drive
Concord, MA 01742
(978) 369-5585

David Blankenship

GomezL at collectionso...

[BR_forum] NWP Printing

Post by GomezL at collectionso... »

True enough. I have been changing my printer opens to RECL=1024 to allow for many commands.

Luis I. Gomez
Commercial Legal Software, Inc.
1-800-435-7257
www.CollectionSoftware.com

From: br_forum-bounces@maillist.ads.net [mailto:br_forum-bounces@maillist.ads.net] On Behalf Of Rickie Graham
Sent: Thursday, August 21, 2008 8:02 AM

As far as I tell the cursor has always advanced when embedding escape sequences or printer substitution into the print stream. An easy way to prove this is to open the printer with a short recl= and insert a bunch of printer substitution commands, you will get a line wrap (BR inserts a CRLF). As far as I can tell, this is because the printer substation doesn’t occur until the printer stream leaves the print buffer, just before it is sent to the actual printer (Spooler).

Rick Graham

David

George

Thanks.

David

Decimals do not align.

00170 FOR A=1 TO 20
00190 NEXT A

00200 FOR A=1 TO 20
00220 NEXT A

Thanks Gabriel.

George L. Tisdale, CPA
Tisdale CPA
75 Junction Square Drive
Concord, MA 01742
(978) 369-5585

= hex$(05)

Gabriel

00080 FOR A=1 TO 20
00100 NEXT A
00110 FOR A=1 TO 20
00130 NEXT A

George L. Tisdale, CPA
Tisdale CPA
75 Junction Square Drive
Concord, MA 01742
(978) 369-5585

David Blankenship

rdgcss at attglobal.net

[BR_forum] NWP Printing

Post by rdgcss at attglobal.net »

I starting using 4096 when BR went to the “large” model and memory was no longer a problem.

Rick Graham

From: br_forum-bounces@maillist.ads.net [mailto:br_forum-bounces@maillist.ads.net] On Behalf Of Luis I. Gomez
Sent: Thursday, August 21, 2008 9:08 AM

True enough. I have been changing my printer opens to RECL=1024 to allow for many commands.

Luis I. Gomez
Commercial Legal Software, Inc.
1-800-435-7257
www.CollectionSoftware.com

From: br_forum-bounces@maillist.ads.net [mailto:br_forum-bounces@maillist.ads.net] On Behalf Of Rickie Graham
Sent: Thursday, August 21, 2008 8:02 AM

Rick Graham

David

George

Thanks.

David

Decimals do not align.

00170 FOR A=1 TO 20
00190 NEXT A

00200 FOR A=1 TO 20
00220 NEXT A

Thanks Gabriel.

George L. Tisdale, CPA
Tisdale CPA
75 Junction Square Drive
Concord, MA 01742
(978) 369-5585

= hex$(05)

Gabriel

00080 FOR A=1 TO 20
00100 NEXT A
00110 FOR A=1 TO 20
00130 NEXT A

George L. Tisdale, CPA
Tisdale CPA
75 Junction Square Drive
Concord, MA 01742
(978) 369-5585

David Blankenship

Gabriel

[BR_forum] NWP Printing

Post by Gabriel »

The reason the cursor advances when you embed the | and [|] sequences is because Gordon wanted you to be able to draw your grids with |'s and have your grids just appear on the page the way you drew them.

[Box]
|Here is my First | and second Columns|
|My invoice grid | is easy to make |
| with NWP because| I can see the |
|Columns as they lineup with eachother|[BoxTop]
|These two bottom rows have one big |[BoxBottom]
|box |[/Box]

The goal was to make it so that you can draw your grids in the BR editor and they would magically work in your print jobs.

Gabriel

2008/8/21 Rickie Graham <rdgcss@attglobal.net (rdgcss@attglobal.net)>

As far as I tell the cursor has always advanced when embedding escape sequences or printer substitution into the print stream. An easy way to prove this is to open the printer with a short recl= and insert a bunch of printer substitution commands, you will get a line wrap (BR inserts a CRLF). As far as I can tell, this is because the printer substation doesn't occur until the printer stream leaves the print buffer, just before it is sent to the actual printer (Spooler).

Rick Graham

David
From: George Tisdale [mailto:GTISDALE@tisdalecpa.com (GTISDALE@tisdalecpa.com)]

George

Thanks.

David

Decimals do not align.

00170 FOR A=1 TO 20
00190 NEXT A

00200 FOR A=1 TO 20
00220 NEXT A

Thanks Gabriel.

George L. Tisdale, CPA
Tisdale CPA
75 Junction Square Drive
Concord, MA 01742
(978) 369-5585

From: br_forum-bounces@maillist.ads.net (br_forum-bounces@maillist.ads.net) [mailto:br_forum-bounces@maillist.ads.net (br_forum-bounces@maillist.ads.net)] On Behalf Of Gabriel Bakker

= hex$(05)

Gabriel

00080 FOR A=1 TO 20
00100 NEXT A
00110 FOR A=1 TO 20
00130 NEXT A

George L. Tisdale, CPA
Tisdale CPA
75 Junction Square Drive
Concord, MA 01742
(978) 369-5585

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com
Version: 8.0.138 / Virus Database: 270.6.6/1625 - Release Date: 8/21/2008 6:04 AM

Gabriel

[BR_forum] NWP Printing

Post by Gabriel »

I just tested the example I gave and it produced the output in the attached files. I printed it to pdf, and I have attached the pdf. However, I also converted the pdf to a gif to make it easier to view if you want. I have attached both copies.

The bottom three rows have only one column each, however the grid still lines up.
The bottom two rows are really one big row, two high.

Isn't it easy to "draw" grids on your reports or invoices? The fact that cursor advances makes it even easier then in other languages. (It definitely doesn't advance arbitrarily.)

Gabriel

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 9:14 AM, Gabriel Bakker <gabriel.bakker@gmail.com (gabriel.bakker@gmail.com)> wrote:
The reason the cursor advances when you embed the | and [|] sequences is because Gordon wanted you to be able to draw your grids with |'s and have your grids just appear on the page the way you drew them.

[Box]
|Here is my First | and second Columns|
|My invoice grid | is easy to make |
| with NWP because| I can see the |
|Columns as they lineup with eachother|[BoxTop]
|These two bottom rows have one big |[BoxBottom]
|box |[/Box]

The goal was to make it so that you can draw your grids in the BR editor and they would magically work in your print jobs.

Gabriel

2008/8/21 Rickie Graham <rdgcss@attglobal.net (rdgcss@attglobal.net)>

As far as I tell the cursor has always advanced when embedding escape sequences or printer substitution into the print stream. An easy way to prove this is to open the printer with a short recl= and insert a bunch of printer substitution commands, you will get a line wrap (BR inserts a CRLF). As far as I can tell, this is because the printer substation doesn't occur until the printer stream leaves the print buffer, just before it is sent to the actual printer (Spooler).

Rick Graham

David

George

Thanks.

David

Decimals do not align.

00170 FOR A=1 TO 20
00190 NEXT A

00200 FOR A=1 TO 20
00220 NEXT A

Thanks Gabriel.

George L. Tisdale, CPA
Tisdale CPA
75 Junction Square Drive
Concord, MA 01742
(978) 369-5585

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com
Version: 8.0.138 / Virus Database: 270.6.6/1625 - Release Date: 8/21/2008 6:04 AM