error code is -5

General development discussion.

Moderators: Susan Smith, admin, Gabriel

Gabriel

error code is -5

Post by Gabriel »

Now here's an old one for ya:

I'm trying to get WB 3.8 running under windows vista 64 bit temporarily. I have it running on the clients computer in Windows 7 64 bit temporarily, so I know its possible. And I need to get it running on my laptop so I can work on it here, which is running windows Vista. I get the message "Cannot open wbserver.dat. Error Code is -5" when I try to run it here.

Of course, I can't find anything on the wiki about this error message.

The ultimate goal is to bring them up to BR 4.2, but I need this temporarily during that process.
GomezL

Post by GomezL »

That is a permissions problem.
See if you can "Run as Administrator".

Also you may need to "Tweek UAC".
!! Note: UAC is important for security so disabling it is bad as a long term solution.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

I got it working: Apparently in some OS and WB versions, the WBSERVER specification in your wbconfig.sys file is optional. I'm not sure what it defaults to if its not there. But adding a WBSERVER line to their wbconfig.sys on my Vista system seems to have done the trick. It runs now.

gabriel
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Thanks Luis,

I guess whatever default folder BR uses for wbserver.dat in the absence of a WBSERVER specification in your brconfig.sys file, didn't have proper permissions. Thats why it worked fine in some OS's but not on my laptop.

Gabriel